Climbing close-ish to Enid, OK?

By JessAK
Jan 15, 2014

Hey there! So, I am getting ready to move to Enid, OK for the next year! Is there ANY climbing nearby thats worthwhile?
Thanks!

By Eric Klammer
From Boulder, CO
Jan 15, 2014
Heading up the best pitches of the route. Perfect rock at a nice relaxed angle!

Wichita Wildlife Refuge and Quartz Mountain near Lawton may be your closest bets. I have no experience with Quartz Mountain, but the WWR is full of great climbing! Happy exploring!

By Jason Young
Jan 15, 2014
Mr. Ziggerman Jones

You're a climber and you're moving to Enid, OK? I'm so sorry!
My wife is from Enid. There ain't much climbin' to be had nearby.
WWR and QM are probably the closest worthwhile areas. Both places are picturesque and BOLD. Put on your game face and big-boy trousers for those areas. Good rock + super-sketchy, sandbagged routes = INTENSE FUN! Literally the most sand-bagged and sketchy climbing I have EVER done, but definitely worthwhile places to climb. Start out several NUMBER grades below your comfort zone.

Somewhat close to you is Horseshoe Canyon Ranch (HCR) in Arkansas. It's a beautiful area near the Buffalo River (also very scenic). It is the exact opposite of OK climbing with short well-bolted sport routes on steep sandstone. Good, steep rock + lots o' bolts = relaxed fun. It is definitely another worthwhile area.

I hear that there is also some bouldering at a place called Chandler Park near Tulsa.

At least the people in Oklahoma seem pretty cool, and they make some wicked bbq and moonshine there!

By Drew Nevius
From Oklahoma
Jan 20, 2014
BETA: For me, crux move was sticking the move to the flake above these crimps

The closest place to Enid would be the bouldering at Zen Pen, and for roped climbing and bouldering there is Shotgun, Avery Drive, and Chandler Park all near Tulsa / Sand Springs. No guidebook for these areas, but check MP, 27crags.com, and maybe rockclimbing.com for info.

The Wichitas arent that sketchy - it's a great place for any level of trad as well as some sport routes here and there. Get Tony Mayse's Oklahoma Select guidebook for the WMWR/Quartz climbing.

There are also plenty of good sport and even trad areas out in Arkansas, and it's not too far either.

Welcome to OK!

By David A
From Broomfield, CO
Jan 20, 2014
Hanging out after climbing a route in Eldo on a cold day.

There is some undocumented bouldering and TR potential in the extreme western part of the Panhandle as well as SE CO and NE NM. Just gotta roam around and find the rocks first.

By joe caps
From Pasadena
Jan 20, 2014

i have a copy of oklahoma select for sale if you are interested.