climbing castle crags despite closure?

By amy a
Jul 10, 2012
i know castle crags state park closed... has anyone been in to climb since the park closure? i went in a couple of years ago to climb and thoroughly enjoyed the 5.6 on the ogre and i'll be passing through there in a few weeks and wanted to run up it again. can you still drive to the trailhead, or is the road closed down by the campground? any info is appreciated... thanks!

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Jul 10, 2012
It is COMPLETELY legal to enter any and all of the State Parks during their closure. Also most of the climbing at "Castle Crags" is actually outside the park from what I hear. So all you really need to do is sort parking, and I believe the road is closed to the trailhead.

By splitclimber
Jul 10, 2012
I heard that it just adds more hiking on the approach since you can't park in the regular parking area at the TH.

By Sure-man
From Boone, NC/ S.F.
Jul 10, 2012
On Las Aguajas with TW0 summit in the background
I climbed cosmic wall a few weeks ago. The gates are closed, so you have to park at the main gate and walk the road for an extra 2 miles. Its not that bad, but for that climb the approach was definitely the "crux" of the day. Great easy climb though, those last 2 pitches are money! I am completely awe-struck by the amount of quality rock there and the solitude found with it. Have fun!

-Brett

By Tapawingo
Jul 10, 2012
Hey like everyone else said the park is closed but it is legal to enter, just adds another 2 miles to the approach. It's been pretty hot out there lately too so just might want to get an early start to make the approach and climb a little more pleasant. Have fun!

By CritConrad
From Bend, OR
Jul 10, 2012
A buddy of mine climbed cosmic wall yesterday. The park was COMPLETELY open! Still an 8 dollar fee to get in. Gate open, attendant there, and road all the way to the vista point open. Enjoy!

By Sure-man
From Boone, NC/ S.F.
Jul 10, 2012
On Las Aguajas with TW0 summit in the background
Really?!! Open? Wow, that must be a very recent change. Great news. Enjoy the 2 mile hike rather than the 4 mile one.

-Brett

By Greg Barnes
Jul 10, 2012
Hanging out with Karin on the summit of Warlock Ne...

sfgate.com/default/article/65-...

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Jul 10, 2012
DOPE. Way to come through in the clutch Gov. Moonbeam

Greg Barnes wrote:
Nearly all state parks will stay open - 65 out of 70 on the final closure list. Announced a couple weeks ago, here's one article: sfgate.com/default/article/65-...

By Tapawingo
Jul 11, 2012
Thats crazy, I just passed by leaving Shasta and the signs on the interstate said closed last Saturday. Good to know that its open though, thanks.