Climbing at Cloudcroft Tunnels in August?

By John K. Parejko
From New Haven, CT
Jul 22, 2014
Hello all,

I'll be in the Cloudcroft area between 14-20 August, and I'm wondering if anyone here ever climbs, or knows people who climb, at the tunnels crag on 82? I've seen people climbing there before and I'd like to check it out, but I can't bring my rope, etc., and would need a partner anyway.

Thanks

By the schmuck
From Albuquerque, NM
Jul 22, 2014
The climbing at the Tunnel is really fun. In August you will be stuck on the shady side, as I am sure you know, but there is plenty to climb there. I would suggest that you try to get in touch with John Hymer, who is a local, a really nice guy, and probably can hook you up with someone to climb with. Falcon's Rock Climbing New Mexico has a pretty decent description of both the shady and sunny sides.

Have fun!

By frank bonnevie
Jul 28, 2014
tueday thursdays at 5 pm sat around 10 there are climbers.

By John K. Parejko
From New Haven, CT
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for the responses. I've looked at the routes there, I just need someone to climb with!

How should I get in touch with John Hymer? schmuck: feel free to message me here on MP for privacy.

I'll definitely come by the afternoon of Thursday, August 14th (weather permitting), and that Saturday too.

Looking forward to it!

By the schmuck
From Albuquerque, NM
Jul 29, 2014
He is an account user. Search & PM him.

By Stephen Peinado Jr.
Aug 8, 2014
A lot of climbers from Las Cruces, especially NMSU students frequent the place. If the temp is 60 or above in Alamo you'll be stuck on the shady side unless you want to bake on the sunny side. You could go to the NMSU climbing wall and hit up some locals there. I'm sure they'd be happy to go.

By Taylor J
From new mexico, new england
Aug 8, 2014
"Scott" at the tunnel
I second franks Tuesdays and Thursdays but I can also climb Mondays if it helps hope to see you out there pm if you wanna swap numbers...

By John K. Parejko
From New Haven, CT
Aug 11, 2014
Thanks everyone. I'd definitely rather not bake, so shady side it is.

I'll get there as soon after 5pm as I can on Thursday. Can't make it out to Las Cruces, so no NMSU climbing wall. Good idea for the future, though. I'll keep it in mind.

Taylor: I'll see how things go, whether Monday or Tuesday is better next week. I'll PM you.

By Taylor J
From new mexico, new england
Aug 11, 2014
"Scott" at the tunnel
Sounds good

By John K. Parejko
From New Haven, CT
Aug 14, 2014
I didn't make it to the Tunnel until about 6:30, and it didn't look like anyone was around. Sorry if I missed folks! I'll definitely try again on Saturday morning.

Did finally get a chance to walk across the shady side. Looks like interesting routes there!

By frank bonnevie