Climbing advice, Finale Ligure?

By Dustin B
From Steamboat
Mar 11, 2012
It's always a party.
Hi MP,

So lucky me, I'm going to Italy at the end of may. Were going to finale ligure then up to the 'mites. Just wondering if anyone has had experience climbing in ligure, and also which crags are the best. Only got a week there, so trying not to waste too much time finding the good stuff. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

By Brian in SLC
Mar 11, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Check out the destination here on the 'proj. I tried to put an overview on there to highlight the better stuff in the area.

You'll be able to hit some great stuff in a week!

By Pinklebear
Mar 11, 2012
Pinklebear
It's been a long while since I've been there, and I can't remember all the crag names, but Il Silenzio up the valley of Rian Cornei was totally mega. Big, steep, bulge-wall with big moves between deep pockets. A cool adventure (steep, scrambly trail) to get to, too.

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Mar 11, 2012
Haven't been over there myself, but I've read an article or two about it. You may find these travel guides/articles to be useful. Both are from British sites, and both have info about climbing, logistics, and lots of pictures.

"Sport Climbing on the Italian Riviera: Finale and Oltrafinale" www.planetfear.com/articles/Sport_Climbing_on_the_Italian_Ri>>>

"Val Pennavaire, Italy" (Otrefinale; kind of the western extension of Finale) www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1493

By Dustin B
From Steamboat
Mar 11, 2012
It's always a party.
Thanks fellas. The stone looks great and hopefully I can beat myself into shape before I go. Never climbed a sea cliff, and if pinkle says something is totally mega, I gots to go see that. I'll post up a trip report...

By Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Mar 19, 2012
Moby dick 5.11-
Make sure you check out the village Finalborgo. Nice fortified village and not touristy at all.
Also, I remember a free camping spot at one of the major crags there but can't remember the name. The crag was North facing though so I didn't climb there as I was there in early February a few years back. Enjoy!

By sibylle
From Colorado
Apr 15, 2012
Stone of Ignorance.
My son on sea cliffs at Capo Noli, ( near Finale)
My son on sea cliffs at Capo Noli, ( near Finale)

My son on Capo Noli sea cliffs