Climb in the dolomites/surrounding area?

By miraperrone
Aug 20, 2014
Heading to the dolomites for about a month starting sept 10, looking for partners ideally for multipitch trad routes of moderate grades (lead 5.8 ish follow 5.10 ish), but stoked to climb anything. Would also love a partner for mt blanc!

Also any insight into dirtbagging in that area, any good beta? Easy to hitch from milan to the dolomites? Lots of partners once youre there? Free camping?

Thanks yall! Ill be away from internet until aug 31 but will get back to you then. Cheers.

By mrcn
Aug 22, 2014
Dolomites are pretty empty in september. Not many people, many lifts and places are closed and public transport switch to off season schedule in some areas. No free campings, wild camping is illegal but tolerated in some places ( dusk till dawn only). You can sleep in a car on some passes and parkings but no tents. Do not ignore "no overnight parking" signs as police check such places. Dolomites are very dry so in most places you won't find water. You have to either carry it or melt snow. There are red metal bivouac capsules high in the mountains but they should be used in emergency only, some of them are in very bad condition.

I don't remember seeing any hitchhikers over last couple of years except for short trail/pass->village sections in the evening. Milan-dolomites is rather long way + highways so I think it may be difficult. In the mountains off season traffic is rather low and weather dependent. Perhaps it's doable if you speak italian, I don't know. German is widely known in north dolomites (South Tirol) but english is not useful in most areas.

By Matt Schafer
Aug 25, 2014
Hate to break it to you, but hitching in Italy is a bad option. No one does it. I was trying to get from Alessandria in the west to Bologna in the east by waiting outside of a truck stop (Swiss French dropped me off there after a 4 hour ride from Chamonix). The only ride I got in 6 hours was a 10 min lift to the train station downtown by a moroccan construction worker who lived in Spain. Italians don't do it; many of them wagged their finger at me from the car. I told my Italian friends about it and they said hitching just doesnt happen. Northern Europe is great but Southern, no.
Also the Dolomites are not be the best for dirt bag style. The mountains are spread out and you have to drive from campsites down in the valleys up to the peaks. Pretty sure there is a bus system, but its tough to climb that way. I tried pretty much the same thing in Cortina and spent most of my time walking along the road. Try to find a partner via mp or where ever ahead of time. I had much more success winging it in Chamonix: one central valley, good buses and train, mountains and climbs more consolidated and easier to get to, more fellow dirtbags with no car and no partner. Maybe Arco would be better. Don't know never been. Buona fortuna

By Malcolm Ferguson
Sep 1, 2014
Hey There,

I just finalized my Euro trip. I'll be free to climb anywhere between the dates of Sept. 22nd-30th. The Dolomites were high on my todo list. But after the beta, have you changed your plans up?

By boogiecha
Sep 2, 2014
And I got a car with enough space for gear... was planning the Dolomites this week but the weather...uuhhhh....bad! prefer to chill out and wait.

Anyhow, drop a PM or call 00491637303553...

By Malcolm Ferguson
Sep 2, 2014
Definitely a super fly dude over here, lol!
Where are you from? Are you just visiting Europe? What grade of a climber are you, and how long have you been involved in the sport?

I just found out, the petzlroc trip is taking place in Eastern Europe during the end and beginning of Sept. And Oct.
Have you heard about them?

Either way, I'd love to make some plans. Can you text me first, I'm having an issue with the international number.

519.872.6822

Cheers,

Malcolm

By boogiecha
Sep 2, 2014
PM send, is that ur Canadian/US number?

By miraperrone
Sep 20, 2014
thanks for all the beta yall, did change my plans based on the wisdom shared so it's much appreciated! cheers