Clark Canyon road conditions?

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Apr 11, 2014
OTL

Interested in climbing after snowboarding next weekend - any locals know if the road is passable/clear?

thanks

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
Apr 12, 2014
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.

Was there yesterday. Road completely clear. The rough stretch of 4 WD was nastier than I ever remembered it.

I wish the fairies and unicorns that recently buffed out the mid-gorge parking access (hat tip fellas!) would sprinkle a little love here too.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Apr 14, 2014
OTL

Is 4x4 needed now? I've been fine with FWD and clearance, but its been a couple years since I was out there. (first time, made it in a car, only scraping once)

By Simon W
Apr 14, 2014
Foreplay at The Pinnacles

My first time there was in ..November last year, and I thought it was pretty rowdy with a locked 4wd truck with 31s. I don't go wheeling, so it got my pulse up a little.

My friend in an Audi wagon didn't even try it.

Ended up giving people a shuttle run.

Not sure what the book is talking about saying "high clearance" alone is enough.

The mid-gorge parking was NAAASTY! I was there the weekend that it damn near benighted 5 sedans. Glad that got some attention.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Apr 14, 2014
OTL

Wow, guess its gotten pretty bad.
Thanks for the updates.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Apr 14, 2014
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Thanks to DWP... the middle road was fixed....ORG is on land owned by them, and a big thank you to the City of Los Angles for letting us climb.

Mono county .... don't hold your breath on fixing the Clark rd. Might need some folks to step up and bust out some hand tools.

By live_it
From Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Apr 14, 2014
Lovers Leap

That rough section is on USFS land, so don't expect it to be repaired anytime soon