Chile and Argentina, October-December 2014
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

Aug 13, 2014
Hey y'all,

I'm going to be in South America for work this autumn, and want to take some time to climb in both Chile and Argentina after my projects are done. I'll be available starting mid October and am flying out of Santiago on January 9. Beyond that, I'm flexible with destinations and dates. Possible destinations could include Pucon, Bariloche, and Mendoza, and maybe a couple of the larger peaks along the border. I plan to base myself in Bariloche for most of November and December. My goals are to do some alpine climbing (any grades from F to AD+ or D) and do a bunch of trad climbing, preferably multipitch anywhere in the 5.7 to 5.10 range, or harder if you wanna lead it. Also open to trekking if the climbing options don't pan out.

Anybody interested in meeting up with me? Anybody have any recommendations on good places to go?

Cheers,

Mike Sullivan
Durango, CO

By Danclimber
Aug 14, 2014
Hi
I'm also planning a trip to Bariloche area from oct 29to nov 29. That is the time i have available. i now realize that is their spring so it might not be a good time to be there.
Yes it would be good to meet up.
thoughts?
Dan,
Squamish, Canada
moonview1@hotmail.com

Aug 14, 2014
Hi Dan,

I'm trying to check in with friends who have climbed before in Bariloche, but haven't heard back from them yet. From what I've heard/read, the snow may keep us from getting on a lot of the climbs in early Nov, but a lot of routes should be accessible and dry by late November, with conditions getting even better in December. I was in Cochamo last December, which is further south from Bariloche -- the snow was mostly melted off, but a lot of the climbs were still wet even that late in the spring.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to spend early Nov in Pucon or some other (less alpine) destination, and then hit Bariloche later in the month? Let's try and do some more research and see what the options are. I've got a few Chilean climbing websites bookmarked, but haven't had time yet to learn about the options, other than that they exist... I don't know anything at all about climbs in Argentina, except for Chalten and Bariloche/Frey.

You can reach me on email at zarmot@yahoo.com. I'm around for the next day or two, but will be out of touch for most of the coming 3 weeks -- working on a solar project in the jungles of northern Bolivia.

Thanks for contacting me... I'll let you know when I hear back from one of my friends about Bariloche. Please let me know if you dig up any more details.

Cheers,

Mike

By Chris Clarke
From La Paz, BO
Aug 14, 2014
I'll be in La Paz then. The last three years have had a fair amount of good climbing weather October-December but who knows about this year.

Aug 16, 2014
Hi Chris,

I'm working in Bolivia until about 5 Sept, and then I have to be in northern Chile on Sept. 20 for more work. I have free time between about the 5th and 15th. If you are in La Paz then, would you be willing to meet? I'd be happy to buy you a couple of beers if you are willing to share some beta on the Real and other climbing options you are familiar with.

Cheers,

Mike
zarmot@yahoo.com

By Chris Clarke
From La Paz, BO
Aug 18, 2014
Hi Mike,

I'd be happy to meet you in La Paz but I will be in the US until early morning on the 16th. I'm free after that until mid-December. I'll send you an email.

Cheers,

Chris

Aug 30, 2014
Modern art?
Thanks, Chris -- I'll be in touch via email.

Anyone else out there who has an interest in meeting up in Pucon, Bariloche, or other destinations; or who has some advice to share on climbing in the region?

By CathyO
Sep 5, 2014
I've just left Bariloche and I'd be very surprised if you can't access the Frey granite in Nov. At the end of Aug they were already talking about closing the Cerro Catedral ski resort because the winter had been so poor and the snowline was so high. There is very little base, so even if they do get a spring snow dump, it'll melt away quickly. Frey is a lovely area!

Sep 5, 2014
Modern art?
Hi Cathy, thanks for taking the time to let me know about conditions. Bummer for the ski season, but that should definitely help with spring climbing. Anyone else out there interested in climbing around Frey/Bariloche this Nov and Dec?

By Gabe K
Sep 5, 2014
Hey Mike - I'm working on Chiloé Island from now (Sept. 5th) until beginning of December. I'm hoping to make some short trips to Cochamó & the Frey/Bariloche area before I finish work, and then I will also have three weeks in December to travel throughout Patagonia. Would love to meet up and climb, weather & time permitting! Feel free to shoot me an email at gkiritz@ucla.edu.

Gabe

Sep 6, 2014
Modern art?
Cool Gabe, I will email you. Cochamó is a pretty amazing place, you're gonna like it!

By Michelle Kinny
Sep 13, 2014
slab lead
Hey Mike and Chris! I'm in La Paz at the moment and would love to climb! I'll be in Bolivia for about a month more and want to climb as much as possible. I sport climb 5.11s and can follow trad. Let me know if you're still in the area and want to meet up!
Michellekinny@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2014
Hi Michelle,

I left La Paz on Friday and am now in northern Chile. Chris is very well connected to the climbing scene in Bolivia, so I'm sure he can hook you up with partners. I think he arrives there in just a day or two. Meanwhile, email me if you want contact info for a few local climbers in La Paz. The weather's been pretty rainy, but I hope it clears up for you. You should definitely go meet Denys Sanjines at the Hostal Topaz on Calle Saavedra -- she can hook you up, too. And if it rains, there is a pretty good bouldering wall/cave at the hostel. Saludos y buena suerte!

By BeccaS
Sep 16, 2014
Hi Mike,

I'm in Argentina right now and planning to head out to bariloche and el chalten from mid-nov to mid-dec to climb and trek. I'd love to meet up. I don't have a ton of gear with me (harness, shoes, PA, atc, nut tool), but I'm anxious to get out. My internet access is spotty, but hopefully we can connect sometime before then.

Sep 17, 2014
Hey Becca,

That sounds great. I've got a pretty full rack of trad gear, so we should be set. (However, I only have a single 60m rope, so we'll probably need a 2nd rope for raps, or stick to routes with walk-offs...)

Let's get back in touch in early November and try to plan something out. Do you have a rough idea of your time frame for the Bariloche area?

Cheers!

By Shane Lonergan
Sep 19, 2014
Hey Mike (and anybody else looking for climbing/hiking partner),

I'll be in Bariloche/Southern Patagonia from 17 October until I fly from El Calafate to Buenos Aires on the 20th November.

I'm interested in climbing (and hiking) - only intended bringing harness/shoes/etc but I could squeeze a few draws and cams in if needs be.

I'd be interested in non-alpine climbing also if we cant get up high.

Shane

Sep 20, 2014
Hi Shane,

Sounds like we should have a week or two of overlap in Bariloche, so let's get back in touch when the time gets closer. I plan to arrive there at the end of October, depending on weather. Since it sounds like you'll be there before me, could you send me some info about snow line and route conditions?

I still need to do more research, but I'm pretty sure that there are a couple of lower elevation sport crags in the region if we are shut down in the alpine due to snow.

Cheers,

Mike

By Shane Lonergan
Sep 20, 2014
I can't find too much info about current conditions Mike! But I did find a recent picture of Cerritos cathedral! snowbrains.com/wp-content/uplo... - doesn't look to be that much snow cover!

I notice most articles online about the season list the season start as November so there is a good chance we could get up there in November or else maybe I'll just have to stay a few weeks longer! :) Pictures look incredible!!

Sep 23, 2014
Modern art?
Thanks for the photo link. It does look tasty... I was trying to ask if you could send me some info on conditions once you get to Bariloche, after talking to folks there or seeing Frey for yourself. Assuming you are going to Bariloche first and then working your way south later on in the spring -- is that true?

Cheers,

Mike

Sep 23, 2014
Modern art?
I just edited my original post to skip any more climbing in Bolivia this trip, and to focus on Chile and Argentina -- primarily Bariloche, Pucón, and nearby areas.

I'm also thinking about the possibility of Mendoza (Los Arenales) if any MP'ers have an interest in climbing there in October. Another option would be to try one or two of the 6000 m peaks along the border, maybe something around Ojos del Salado...?

By Jordan Moore
From Boulder, co
Sep 24, 2014
Hampi, india
I'll be in bariloche and the rest of Patagonia October 13th and expect to stay until march. I have a full trad rack, double ropes, mountaineering boots, crampons, and just a straight axe. I can lead up to 5.11 and have limited snow and ice experience but would be interested in some mountain routes. Let me know if you need a partner!

Sep 27, 2014
Modern art?
Hi Jordan -- yeah, it would be great to hook up to climb. Do you know when you'll be arriving in Bariloche? I think I will spend the last half of October around Pucon, Chile, and then head to Bariloche right around the beginning of November, depending on weather and route conditions.

By Jordan Moore
From Boulder, co
Sep 28, 2014
Hampi, india
I'll be flying into bariloche October 14th. It will probably be a little cold and snowy in the mountains but I'll be there for a while. What's in pucon, chile?

By Shane Lonergan
Sep 28, 2014
I'll be in baliroche from probably the 17th October Jordan! I believe there's some lower elevation sport in the area which I'd be keen to check out if it's still too cold and snowy to climb in the alpine!

I'll contact you when I'm in baliroche. My email is shane.lonergan@gmail.com if you wanna contact me in the mean time! Where are you going to stay? I don't have any accommodation plans as yet so if you find a nice spot let me know!

Sep 28, 2014
Modern art?
Please post some info on conditions once you have a chance to see what's up around Bariloche.

Pucon has a bunch of peak bagging options and trad/sport cragging around town, as well as some really good (from what I've heard) multipitch trad routes at Las Peinetas, near the Argentine border. I've been told that October is a really good month there -- the snow melts off sooner than around Frey. I know some friends of friends who live in Pucon, which is also a bonus. I can contact them and share more info about the area if you are interested.

By BeccaS
Sep 29, 2014
My plans are totally flexible. I can be in bariloche any time from Nov 13 - Dec 15. I'm trying to hit up climbing and trekking spots from bariloche to el chalten during that time, but I can start or end in either place depending on who i can find to climb/trek with asking the way. We can be in touch closer to that time, but if you're going to be around more in Nov than Dec, it might make more sense for me to start on the bariloche end if we can connect to climb.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>