CHEAP slackline set-up?

By Ian G.
From PDX, OR
Nov 15, 2009
Mens Crisis Center .12a

Anyone got any tips on a cheap slackline setup? I've been told what i'm looking for are "tighteners" (tensioners?) that truckers use? Anyone have experience with this? I've been climbing for over ten years but have only just now gotten into walkin' the line.

(Also, sorry if this has been covered on MP before...I couldn't find any info...)

By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
Nov 15, 2009
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

If you actually want to be cheap you don't need tensioners. The only time those are really useful are for very long lines. I usually set up a slackline about 30-40 feet long and can tighten it by myself. Or just grab some of your buddies to help you for a sec.

You need:

3 carabiners(oval is the best)
2 rap rings to use instead of knots.
60ft of webbing (or however much you want)
2 "runners"-Probably ~15 feet long

By Tom R
From Denver, CO
Nov 15, 2009
self portrait

I like this method:
www.slackline.com/?p=106#more-106
Although it inadequate for longer lines.

By Evan1984
Nov 15, 2009

google search "the primitive system, slackline." This will show you how to setup a very simple cheap rig. All you need is webbing, and 3 biners.

Tips:
1. The slackline puts a F'ing ton of pull on your knots and you'll spend hours trying to untie them. Except for the slings to tie off the trees, I go with a knotless system. I attach the hard point end of the line to the one tree with a munter/mule so I can release the tension. For the inline pulley point, I clove hitch in two biners, that way you can "break" the biners apart and loosen the clove.

2. Set it up so you can straddle the line. Trust me.

3. Bring some towels/cardboard to pad the trees. people will be alot less likely to hassle you if you do. Basket hitches are better for trees than girth hitches.

4. Stand behind the tree as you tighten it.

Evan

By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
Nov 15, 2009
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

Tom R wrote:
I like this method: www.slackline.com/?p=106#more-106 Although it inadequate for longer lines.

use a rap ring for the same purpose as the chain link

also scott rogers on this site is a master-slackliner. I'm sure he could direct you to some resources.

By Andrew James C
From Portland, OR
Nov 15, 2009
Wide abgle!

We used this method for our party in Vantage, used a length of webbing tied to one end of a boulder. Backed the truck for sufficient tension.

Truck Slack line
Truck Slack line

Worked well for the night, super cheap compared to the Mammut stuff

Phil Sanders Uni-slaking
Phil Sanders Uni-slaking

By chansmeyer907
From anchorage, alaska
Nov 22, 2009

i used four oval carabiners and about 40 or 50 feet of webbing. i cut about two sections of ten feet off to make the loops to put around the trees/posts. i haven't tried the rap ring system but i'm sure i will since i have a ridiculous not on one of my carabiners. the length of webbing only spans about a 20-25 foot gap.

By M.Morley
From Sacramento, CA
Nov 22, 2009
8-21-09

Have you seen this???
Have you seen this???

By Ian G.
From PDX, OR
Jan 11, 2010
Mens Crisis Center .12a

Well, instead of cheap, I went expensive...

I bought a Gibbons slackline set on ebay (for waaaay less than 'sticker price'!). So, question is about the ratchet?

Are these things always a total bitch to take down? I get the thing tight, wind the ratchet a bit and am in slack heaven for a couple hours, but when the time come to take the thing down, the webbing is wrapped around the inside of the spool real tight. I end up yelling and cursing and struggling for half an hour every time trying to get the f'in thing loose? What am I doing wrong? Am I just retarded?

By Wayne
From Superior, CO
Jan 11, 2010

I always tie a munter mule on the other end and release it there. But then I just use a few biners for a pulley to tension.