Chatt Steel or Dixie Craggers Atlas for TN guide book?

By Metaluna
Jan 28, 2014

I am hoping to do a couple trips to the Chattanooga area, specifically foster falls. Looking for pros/con's of the two books and which is preffered by locals and people who has been in the area before.

Thanks!

By Kyle McPheeters
Jan 28, 2014

I have the old Dixie and Chatt Steel. Chatt Steel blows away the last Dixie, but I have seen the new Dixie and it is pretty quality too. I think for foster you can't go wrong with either. Chatt Steel is attractive to locals cause it covered areas that have never been in a guidebook. It puts much more emphasis on Chattanooga, so if you're looking to go more than an hour away you might want to consider Dixie. All in all, both good guides. Sorry, that probably doesnt help :P

By Blake Cash
Jan 29, 2014

Chatt Steel. The Cragger is littered with errors and doesn't do a great job of clearly defining routes. The Chatt Steel guide is very accurate and will get you to the base of every crag in the book...unlike the Cragger.

By Jeff Mekolites
From HOTlanta, GA
Jan 29, 2014
East Buttress Direct, SEWS, WA Pass.

It may also depend on what type of climbing you are looking to do. Chatt Steel is a sport climbing guide for select mostly sport climbing areas like Fosters. The Cragger covers more than just sport climbing.

I think we could also agree no guide book is 100% accurate.

By courthouse
Jan 31, 2014

Chatt Steel looks like it was produced by someone who actually climbs!

By Metaluna
Feb 1, 2014

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went with Chatt Steel.

By Chris Watford
Feb 3, 2014

By Matt Lisenby
Feb 3, 2014

^Now THAT is what I call 'southern hospitality.' Chris, you are the man. If I ever get back to GA, TN and that sandstone belt, I'm buying your guidebook and I'm getting you a beer.

By Kyle McPheeters
Feb 4, 2014

nice!

By The Blueprint Part Dank
Feb 4, 2014
Bohemian grove

Chris Watford wrote:
Everyone besides Blake seems to find their way around pretty well with the DCA books. I'm not aware of too many egregious errors, since the entire text was vetted and gone over by quite a few folks to catch any. I guess some folks need a little more hand-holding. At any rate Metaluna, PM me and I'll send you a free set of the new DCA books, in case the weather turns or you decide to do something besides sport climb around Chattanooga on your trip. Just got a new shipment of the 2nd print run in.

I don't think anyone is going to say that the old Dixie Craggers Atlas stands up to the new school guidebooks like Chatt Steele or the Rob Rob T-Wall guidebook, The Sunset Park section alone was a black and white headache. But when that version came out, it was just as good as it's competition. And that's not the version that's out today. The new release is a slick, well put together book that is far more comprehensive than ANY other guidebook for the area.

And to say that "Chatt Steele looks like it was put together by someone who actually climbs" is just a complete douche statement. Chris Watford's contributions to SE climbing are numerous and deserving of respect. I can't imagine that he's replaced his toilet paper with $100 bills because of the book's profits. The DCA's are real labors of love and it's incredibly short sighted to discount them as being the punch line to your petty forum contributions.

By courthouse
Feb 4, 2014

This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.

By Chris Watford
Feb 8, 2014

Hey Matt! Great to hear from you. I'm in Sochi now and You're greatly missed on these jobs. Phil and Dave say hello. Everyone asks about you. Come for a visit soon!

Dank, thanks so much for the kind words. Guidebooks have evolved a lot from the old days of black and white line drawings. The advent of affordable digital color printing has definitely raised the bar. I have always strived to pack as much info into the Dixie Craggers guidebooks as possible, as many areas and routes as I can. This requires a tone of work on my part but more importantly, LOTS of helpful and essential contributions from climbers all over. Tyler Stracker, Scott Perkins, Jeff Mekolites, Todd Wells, Jerry Roberts, Lurod...the list goes on and on. Revisions, grade changes, addition of anchors etc is hard to keep up with without help. I'm lucky to have the input from all those folks. With work, travel, a family, injuries etc, it's tough to get around to all of these areas over and over in a timely manner.

I also strive to donate heavily to worthy causes and organizations because no doubt the guidebook results in impacts to the areas.

Anyay, thanks again for the kind words, and Metaluna, I hope you enjoy your trip!

By Metaluna
Feb 8, 2014

Thanks Chris. I got the set today. The content in them look great and hopefully the weather plays nice so I can get out and use them soon!

By Jonathan Clardy
Feb 12, 2014

Books
Books

Here is what you get with the new Chatt Steel verses the Dixie Craggers atlas. My "awesome" copy of Chatt Steel Got damp one time
And this is what the outcome was. I have several different volumes of the Cragger and have been wet more then once even saturated and you can see the better quality.

Not to mention the fact that the Chatt Steel celebrates even seems like they advocated chipping, retro bolting and basic vandalism of the cliff. While I agree the new slick pretty picture books are great ultimately I'll take
Less fluff and more buff. It's tough for any author to get it all correct so don't hate on them for errors unless you want to make your own book.