|Photos:||Recent | Best | Popular|
|Location:||40.74952, -123.51773 View Map Incorrect?|
|Administrators:||Rick Shull, M.Morley, Adam Stackhouse, Salamanizer, Justin Johnsen, Kristine Hoffman (sitewide)|
|Submitted By:||grizz on Jun 8, 2009|
|Watch for raptors, if they are there, climb somewhere else|
|re: snowshoeing the JMT||Jason Kim||6 mins ago|
|re: Partners Wanted for Thanksgiving Weekend||Stefan D||16 hours ago|
|Ride share to J Tree Tomorrow (Halloween)!||lexeeando||21 hours ago|
|re: Partner for Valley classics mid to late October||Howard.||1 day ago|
|re: bishop 24-26. need a partner||Mallorca||2 days ago|
|Lost purple mythos at summit rock.||David Weaver||2 days ago|
|re: Bishop partner Oct 26-31||Rob Gordon||3 days ago|
|Looking for partners for Nevada City and surrounding areas||ClimbHunter||3 days ago|
|Comments on Castle Rock||Add Comment|
|Show which comments —
From: Oakland CA
May 30, 2012
|base of North Face is covered in Poison Oak.|
Feb 24, 2014
More precise directions:
(1) Take a right on Underwood Mountain Road if heading east on Hwy 299. Set your odometer to zero.
(2) At 4.0 miles, take a right on 5N40 Rd.
(3) At 6.2 miles (from 299) you'll pass by the Trinity Aretes.
(4) At 9.5 miles, park on your right at a small turnout/old road, that is closed by a large berm.
(5) Hike down the road for about 5 minutes. The road ends at a large cul-de-sac. Just before reaching the cul-de-sac, look for a culvert on your right. Head straight up to the ridgeline and over, eventually skirting the left side of Castle Rock to the base. About 5 minutes from leaving road to the base.
(6) Alternatively, you can basically side-hill from the cul-de-sac, but it's steep and loose.