car camping/dirtbagging in Salt Lake

May 15, 2012
me
Does anyone know anywhere I can go car-camping in salt lake area (right in town or right outside of town)... basically, I just want to spend a few days in Salt Lake City checking some stuff out in town and would like to camp in my car... I know all the campgrounds are closed Catie A.
From Tucson, AZ
Joined Dec 14, 2011
7 points
May 15, 2012
Wal-Mart.

They will allow you to camp in their parking lot. The Wally's in Salt Lake is near the freeway and would be a fast drive to get to the canyons.

Beware, however, that there is a lot of car burglary in both LCC and BCC.
kBobby
From Spokane, WA
Joined Oct 5, 2001
1,373 points
May 15, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Not sure when your trip is, but, Spruces in BCC and Tanners in LCC are both scheduled to be open 25 May.

Millcreek isn't a bad option. Backcountry camping only, but, the canyon might be a safer place to leave your car unattended (which I wouldn't do in BCC or LCC). Fee required to drive up the canyon. Couple bucks (or barely more) I think?

"Camping must be at least 1/2 mile off the road and 200 feet from developed areas and water."

Uhh...if anyone can vouch for you, maybe a backyard or basement (not crawl space...ha ha)?

You could drive down to AF where you could camp free but its a bit of a drive back to SLC.
Brian in SLC
Joined Oct 6, 2003
10,997 points
May 15, 2012
Andrew Gram
I think you can camp at Mormon Flat just a few miles off the freeway at Jeremy Ranch up by Park City. Pretty spot with good hiking and fishing. Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Jan 1, 2001
3,577 points
May 16, 2012
me
Brian,
When you say "canyon" do you mean mill creek?
BTW.. I am looking to go today or tomorrow

Thanks!
Catie A.
From Tucson, AZ
Joined Dec 14, 2011
7 points
May 16, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Catie A. wrote:
Brian, When you say "canyon" do you mean mill creek? BTW.. I am looking to go today or tomorrow Thanks!

Yes, Millcreek Canyon. Just up the hill from REI near Olympus Cove.
Brian in SLC
Joined Oct 6, 2003
10,997 points
May 20, 2012
Hey Catie. Did you ever figure out camping? I'm heading that way this week and have the same question. tlarge
Joined Sep 5, 2009
0 points
May 21, 2012
Andrew Gram wrote:

Uhhh reading comprehension is not a strong point of yours is it? Since when is Jeremy Ranch "near town or right outside SLC"??? If you arent going to take the time to read the post dont bother replying.
DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 23, 2012
3 points
May 21, 2012
Brian in SLC wrote:

1. She is camping in her car so why would it be left unattended??

DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 23, 2012
3 points
May 21, 2012
Andrew Gram
DexterRutecki wrote:

It doesn't take any longer to get to downtown SLC from Jeremy Ranch as it does from the summer campgrounds in LCC, and lots of folks commute from Jeremy Ranch to SLC to work every day. I'd consider that right outside of SLC.
Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Joined Jan 1, 2001
3,577 points
May 21, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
DexterRutecki wrote:
1. She is camping in her car so why would it be left unattended??

You can't legally camp in your car in Millcreek.

DexterRutecki wrote:

Based on my direct observation of broken glass along sides of the roads in parking lots, you're much better off in Millcreek, especially above the fee station.

You have data to show otherwise?

DexterRutecki wrote:

If you bothered to read...you'd see she's already come and gone.
Brian in SLC
Joined Oct 6, 2003
10,997 points
May 21, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Andrew Gram wrote:

I would too.

Downtown to Jeremy Ranch: 23.5 miles.

Downtown to Tanners Flat in LCC: 22.9 miles.

Downtown to Spruces in BCC: 24.6 miles.
Brian in SLC
Joined Oct 6, 2003
10,997 points
May 21, 2012
Guideline #1: don't be a jerk

Catie A. wrote:

tlarge wrote:

DexterRutecki wrote:

DexterRutecki wrote:
1. She is camping in her car so why would it be left unattended?? 2. I would not trust mill creek any more than BCC or LCC. Break ins happen all the time in all three of those canyons. Geeze people learn to read above a 3rd grade level and comprehend simple questions...

Maybe Catie will let us know how her trip went and what her camping success was. tlarge would sure like to know.

One wonders what crawled up Dexter's ass. In your words, if you aren't going to take the time to answer the OP, don't bother replying.

So, Catie, tlarge, I live here so I don't do much car camping. But, google maps is your friend, especially if you use the satellite photo view. Places I would consider are secluded drives associated with parks, especially dead-ends and large pull-outs/parking areas, locateed mostly in town.

Ideas:

Generally speaking, stay east near the Wasatch as the neighborhoods will be safer. Cars parked overnight around the U, University Hospital, etc. may well be overlooked, and there are lots of parks and parking lots.
The Bonneville Rd loop at the mouth of City Creek Canyon.
Popperton Park
The mouth of Red Butte Canyon behind the U/Fort Douglas
The mouth of Emigration Canyon/Rotary Glen Park/zoo parking lot/This is the Place park. Seems to be several opportunities there. Also look up in Emigration Canyon itself. I suspect there are several prime spots up there, including some dead-end residential areas.
If you don't mind driving up Big Cottonwood, there's an upper section of the Silver Fork cabin area that is paved but undeveloped and quite secluded.
The cabins/houses above in Silver Fork, accessed via the Solitude lower lot, are not all occupied.
Nearer my part of town, the Dimple Dell park area has a couple pull-outs that would seem to be suitable to me, and with not too much traffic.
I'd also consider looking in Olympus Heights, as there are a number of dead-end roads.
ddriver
From SLC
Joined Jul 30, 2007
276 points
May 21, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
DexterRutecki wrote:
Oh well your observation on the amount of broken glass should be all the data we need! When did you conduct your broken glass study?

Everytime I go up the canyons...which is weekly.

You got anything useful?

Specific to this thread, or in general?
Brian in SLC
Joined Oct 6, 2003
10,997 points
May 21, 2012
Seriously I have seen tons of broken glass while biking up mill creek so you are full of it brian. And "above the fee station" what does that mean exactly? Are you suggesting she camp before the fee station? In peoples backyards or what... haha DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 23, 2012
3 points
May 21, 2012
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
DexterRutecki wrote:

Broken glass is from bikers running into the backs of cars.

Seriously.

And, its DD's idear to have them camp in folks' backyards...ha ha...not mine.

What are your helpful suggestions?
Brian in SLC
Joined Oct 6, 2003
10,997 points
May 21, 2012
Ignore Dexter aka dorsey. He has had his account removed several times because of his constant slew of impertinent and snide remarks. Better to let his comment go than gratify him with a response. DallinH
From Utah
Joined Jan 25, 2012
7 points

Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!