canyoneering rope vs climbing rope.

By Cody Vann
May 10, 2014

I have a trip planned to Zion National Park and I will be doing a slot canyon. I also just bought a 60 meter rope. New England Equinox 60 m dry core (dynamic). Will I be alright to use the rope in the canyon even though it will get wet and possibly dirty? Will I still be able to use the rope or will it be compromised for outdoor climbing?

Thanks!

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
May 10, 2014

Yes, you will still be able to use the rope. Just remember, a wet rope has less strength. Ropes can get wet and dirty and still be used!

By Tug
May 10, 2014

Yes you can, but I wouldn't. Use static or an old beater rope.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
May 10, 2014
At the BRC

Which canyon?

You can wash your rope afterwards if needed. Might get some extra wear depending on the pull downs.

If you have a static or old rope I'd use that but if you don't I think you'll be fine with your dynamic.

By Cody Vann
May 16, 2014

It is the Subway in Zion National Park. It's all good now. I'm borrowing a friends old rope.

Thanks!

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
May 16, 2014
Me scaring years off my mom's life

If everyone in your group is competent, you don't even need a rope. a 60 foot piece of webbing for handlining will get you down all the obstacles easily.

By Woodchuck ATC
May 16, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

some of the ropes labeled 'gym ropes' are still dynamic, but thicker and much more durable for rugged use. Shop around and see who has one,,,I got a sale one from Sterling a year ago.,,at 60 M

By agd
May 16, 2014
alaska

If you will be in water (which I assume you will, if you're going to Zion), use a static rope. Trust me. Dynamic rope gets extremely heavy when wet and you will regret having to hike out with a soaking wet rope on your back (I learned this the hard way).

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
May 16, 2014

Austin Baird wrote:

GIven it is for the Subway ... best advice so far.

By Josh Schutz
From Estes Park and Telluride, Colo
May 17, 2014
Morning Glory Arch

Subway is super easy. I tied two 25' cordelettes together, 8mm. Worked perfectly. Don't forget your wetsuit, the first 3 swims are cold as fuck! The water warms up once the springs start flowing.

By patto
May 17, 2014

I would never subject a lead climbing rope to the rigors and abuse of a wet canyon.

Dynamic rope really should be avoided for rapping in canyons. That said if you can't get your hands on appropriate rope then in a pinch it can be used.