Can you ID this bolt?

Jul 8, 2012

Thanks,
Wannabe

By J. Thompson
From denver, co
Jul 8, 2012
Trundling a death block. Photo by Dan Gambino.

That is a Powers "Power" bolt. Aka the "Rawl 5 piece".

Powers bought out Rawl a few years back...

josh

By nbrown
From western NC
Jul 8, 2012
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

And a carbon steel (non stainless) one at that. Of course I don't recall ever seeing that "S" on the head. If the rock under the hanger wears enough after it's placed (as noted in pic) it will cause it to become a spinner. It's harder to "fix" that problem with these bolts than it is with some others (wedge), but it can be done by someone who knows how.

By Cor
Jul 8, 2012
black nasty

the color of the bold head, and washer looks to be the same color
as the hanger... which leads me to believe that it is stainless steel.

i have some plated steel, current model that have a D on them
also have current model s.s. that have ss marked on them.

the old plated steel (rawl) have an R on them.
old s.s. ones?? maybe they do have a S like that...

another thought that comes to mind.. if you understand how the bolt works. my thought is loosen the thing slightly, tap it in, then wrench it tight again. anyone have any thoughts about that?
i think it should be just fine, thinking about how the bolt/cone works.

By smassey
From CO
Jul 8, 2012

Can't really see the marking on the bolt, but the chart from Powers should help. Carbon are marked with a letter, denoting the length, that is on page 3 of this pdf. www.powers.com/pdfs/mechanical/06914.pdf. Stainless, as noted above, have SS and a number.

By nbrown
From western NC
Jul 8, 2012
Top of Shortoff with the Bonsai

20 kN wrote:
Powers uses the grade five three dash marking on their stainless steel bolts as well.

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Jul 9, 2012

nbrown wrote:
That's a new one on me. I used these bolts for years and never saw this. Still have a few (new ones) in the garage that are stainless and are not marked as grade 5. I always thought grade 5 was specific to the carbon steel variety. Can anyone elaborate on this? Also, the ASCA 1/2 inchers that I have used recently are stainless and are not marked as grade 5 - maybe they are from old stock? Cor, I do believe the bolt could be re-set that way as long as the rock is not too soft and won't wallow out where the cone should set (have had this happen in soft TN sandstone). You could also take the bolt (not the whole anchor) out (unscrew) and add a washer without affecting the integrity of the placement.

Yea, I guess you are right. I am tired and not thinking clearly. Come to think of it, I cant recall any of the SS ones I have placed as having the three dash marks either. I guess I got them confused with PS bolts as I have a case of those in my house and they all have the grade five markings.

However, that picture does look like the bolt and hanger are made out of SS. I am going to send an e-mail to Powers to see if they have ever manufactured SS Power bolts with the three dashes on the head.

By ClimbBaja
Jul 9, 2012

20 kN,
The bolts with 3 radial dashes spaced equally, 120 degrees apart, are grade 5 carbon steel (heat treated). Stainless steel bolts are not marked in that fashion.

The original post asks a question that cannot be definitively answered without removing the bolt for inspection. Even if the manufacturer of the hex head bolt could be determined by the logo, there is no guarantee about the fastener underneath. Hex head bolts can be swapped around.

If this bolt is in North America, it is almost certainly a sleeve anchor. Though there are other brands, by far the the most likley is a Powers "Power Bolt" (aka: Rawl/Powers 5-piece). Though unlikely, it could be a bolt pounded into a hole like a rivet or a "carrot bolt" (Australia).

By Jim Titt
From Germany
Jul 9, 2012

Manufacturers bolt-head marking symbols are listed on the US Patent office website, you can look through them!

By dnoB ekiM
Jul 9, 2012
Wonderstuff

Wannabe wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone can identify the maker and model of this bolt based on the markings on its head. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible but thought I'd give it a shot. Thanks, Wannabe

3" x 3/8" Powers 5-Piece Grade 5 Carbon Steel Bolt.

Got a box of 50 with that same S stamp.

By Wannabe
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks everybody for all the input! I did check out the US patent office and even joined the Powers image library and I can't find an image online of one of their bolts with this "S" on it. I did find the info about the three marks being a general designator of a grade 5 carbon steel bolt however which is basically confirmed by some minor rusting I've seen on bolts at this particular crag. Really helpful input so thanks very much.

Wannabe