Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Can we all just agree Bear Grylls is a giant tool?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 4 of 5.  <<First   <Prev   2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Apr 20, 2012
lobbing in Independence Pass
+1 Bear Grylls is an asshat. Travis24
Joined Apr 22, 2011
21 points
Apr 20, 2012
I don't care what the dictionary says, I refuse to believe "disorientating" is actually a real word. Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Joined Jul 22, 2005
1,751 points
Apr 20, 2012
You can watch the "behind the scenes" here: theadrenalist.com/promotions/m...

Of interest to me were some of the things they say regarding the prep work:

"Brad's gotta build his path through this scramble section to make sure he can move as fast as Bear with the steadycam, so that might take some prep, leveling some rock and stuff through there."

"The problem with the top is it's so loose, so we're having to pull lots of different little features to make it safe"

Sounds like they don't give a shit about how they leave the rock...
Ian Stewart
Joined May 17, 2010
166 points
Administrator
Apr 20, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
At the very end of that "Masters of Movement" video, there's a banner that says "WATCH BEAR CLIMB". Yeah, I'd love to. Where's that vid? Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,004 points
Apr 20, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
Christian wrote:
I don't care what the dictionary says, I refuse to believe "disorientating" is actually a real word.


It's what idiots say instead of disorienting. But then those same idiots probably pronounce aluminum al-lu-min-ni-um.
Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,496 points
Apr 20, 2012
About half way up the East Arete on Illumination R...
Ian Stewart wrote:
Sounds like they don't give a shit about how they leave the rock...


I'd be shocked if they did... wouldn't you?

These guys don't give a rats anus about anything but their own paychecks. Ethics are a lot different when you're being paid.
Ben Beckerich
From saint helens, oregon
Joined Jun 24, 2011
266 points
Apr 20, 2012
His chalkbag is clipped to the harness with a carabiner. C'mon man! Jeff Ludwig
From phoenix, Az
Joined Mar 16, 2011
40 points
Apr 20, 2012
mexico


This one is pretty entertaining!
Patrick Vernon
From Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 1, 2001
991 points
Apr 20, 2012
Ah yes, the Bear Grylls debate...largely decided because of his termination with Discovery...but I couldn't agree more:

"Bear Grylls--Descent into Douchery," posted Nov. 30, 2010 on Elevation Outdoors.

elevationoutdoors.com/blogs/ma...
coppolillo
Joined Sep 9, 2009
53 points
Apr 21, 2012
pat vernon wrote:
This one is pretty entertaining!


that was extreme, hardest boulder climb in the world!
S Denny
From Aspen, CO
Joined Sep 25, 2008
24 points
Apr 21, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
I love the interview set for the bouldering video. It looked like Hard Copy or Inside Edition. I kept expecting a story about Kim Kardasian. But really, where is the deodorant being applied to underarms? Where are the ladies smiling? And some cigarette smoking and broom mustaches for that retro-70s ad look would be awesome. Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,496 points
Apr 21, 2012
perfect seam
Stich wrote:
It's what idiots say instead of disorienting. But then those same idiots probably pronounce aluminum al-lu-min-ni-um.


haha thats great, they say aluminum that way trying to sound smart, which makes it all the better. though i have heard thats the way its pronounced in england, though i'm not sure.
fat cow
From St. Paul, MN
Joined Nov 17, 2009
92 points
Apr 21, 2012
The orange pants were pretty cool too, where can I get me some of those? Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Joined Jul 22, 2005
1,751 points
Apr 21, 2012
mountainproject.com/v/rigor-mo...

Here is the route info. I wonder what it goes at if you free it.
nhbrooks
Joined Jan 31, 2010
0 points
Apr 21, 2012
nhbrooks wrote:
mountainproject.com/v/rigor-mo... Here is the route info. I wonder what it goes at if you free it.


I know crap all about desert aid climbing, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's probably not a difficulty issue, but a rock quality issue. (except for possibly the "thin crack" on P2, which might be a combination of both issues).
Christian
From Casa do Cacete
Joined Jul 22, 2005
1,751 points
Apr 21, 2012
Not sure how that video makes Bear look like a tool. Looks like the product of some idiot marketing genius who doesn't know a thing about climbing. Anyone still believing that he has ANY control over the final product that you see obviously hasn't been paying attention. He was, after all, fired for refusing to go along with their stupid reindeer games.

I realize it's fun for some of you to talk shit about him though. If that makes you feel better about your own weaknesses then have at it.
Leeroy
Joined Feb 4, 2012
3 points
Administrator
Apr 21, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
nhbrooks wrote:
mountainproject.com/v/rigor-mo... Here is the route info. I wonder what it goes at if you free it.


Just ask Bear. Did you not see the vid?
Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,004 points
Apr 21, 2012
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
Not sure how that video makes Bear look like a tool. Looks like the product of some idiot marketing genius who doesn't know a thing about climbing. Anyone still believing that he has ANY control over the final product that you see obviously hasn't been paying attention. He was, after all, fired for refusing to go along with their stupid reindeer games. I realize it's fun for some of you to talk shit about him though. If that makes you feel better about your own weaknesses then have at it.


Leeroy, screw you for ruining my WOW game that one time...some grudges don't die.
P.K.
Joined Jun 25, 2010
2 points
Apr 22, 2012
"For me it's those sort of times that I go off on my own and I climb."

Raiders99999
From Cookeville, TN
Joined Aug 17, 2011
5 points
Apr 22, 2012
Just sent the following to Unilever in protest of the inanity that is "The Adrenalist" :

Hey there,

just watched your Bear Grylls Adrenalist videos online. As a climber, and I assume part of your target audience (35 years old), I have to say I found your videos to be pretty disingenuous. While on paper I'm sure the idea of selling deodorant through an "extreme sports" vehicle is attractive, in reality your ad of Bear Grylls climbing the Tombstone in Moab is facile, transparent, technically innacurate and in the end alienates those it is trying to emulate and encourage to purchase product. Your bombastic and heroic production emphasized shiny gadgets and brash male egotism rather than the quiet respect, spirituality and environmentally symbiotic nature of climbing in somewhere like Moab. The "Making of" video only served to highlight the degree to which the crew impacted the locale, not to mention how little Mr. Grylls had to do with his own "self propelled" ascent. Climbing isn't a sweaty pit that needs your brand to smell better. Most climbers would rather smell of rock and chalk at the end of the day anyhow.

Tired of seeing climbing as the domain of adrenaline junkies and Sylvester Stallone-induced antics.
Mocco
Joined Apr 28, 2009
0 points
Apr 22, 2012
Mocco wrote:
Just sent the following to Unilever in protest of the inanity that is "The Adrenalist" : Hey there, just watched your Bear Grylls Adrenalist videos online. As a climber, and I assume part of your target audience (35 years old), I have to say I found your videos to be pretty disingenuous. While on paper I'm sure the idea of selling deodorant through an "extreme sports" vehicle is attractive, in reality your ad of Bear Grylls climbing the Tombstone in Moab is facile, transparent, technically innacurate and in the end alienates those it is trying to emulate and encourage to purchase product. Your bombastic and heroic production emphasized shiny gadgets and brash male egotism rather than the quiet respect, spirituality and environmentally symbiotic nature of climbing in somewhere like Moab. The "Making of" video only served to highlight the degree to which the crew impacted the locale, not to mention how little Mr. Grylls had to do with his own "self propelled" ascent. Climbing isn't a sweaty pit that needs your brand to smell better. Most climbers would rather smell of rock and chalk at the end of the day anyhow. Tired of seeing climbing as the domain of adrenaline junkies and Sylvester Stallone-induced antics.


Wow you really showed them!

But you are wrong, climbers are not their target audience. That would be a pretty small audience for selling deoderant.(as you already said climbers are smelly and dont use that stuff) Their target audience is clearly not climbers but middle aged out of shape people who want to think they are extreme... How is this not obvious?
DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 23, 2012
3 points
Apr 22, 2012
Whiskey-a-Go-Go
DexterRutecki wrote:
Their target audience is clearly not climbers but middle aged out of shape people who want to think they are extreme...


I have to admit, I agree here with the troll. Though, I'd expand it to all 'people who want to think they are extreme,' not just middle-aged and out-of-shape people.
Tom Mulholland
From #1 Cheese Producing State!
Joined Apr 16, 2010
85 points
Apr 22, 2012
Tom Mulholland wrote:
I have to admit, I agree here with the troll. Though, I'd expand it to all 'people who want to think they are extreme,' not just middle-aged and out-of-shape people.


Good point. Its hard to believe Mocco thinks the ad execs are trying to go after the HUGE climbing community and not the other 98% of guys in America...

I am sure they will wise up once they read his letter!
DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined Mar 23, 2012
3 points
Apr 22, 2012
Bear Grylis isn't just a tool, he's the whole tool bag! A fraud... Bob Dobalina
Joined Jun 2, 2009
178 points
Apr 23, 2012
It's a good thing none of us went to the climbing shop looking for that awesome bolt gun a few years back Buff Johnson
Joined Dec 19, 2005
1,499 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 4 of 5.  <<First   <Prev   2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!