Can a clean top-rope solo be considered a redpoint?

By Wilson On The Drums
From Woodbury, MN
Oct 12, 2012
best in the hills
Can a clean top-rope solo be considered a redpoint (assuming I've been on the route before on lead and fallen)?

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Oct 12, 2012
Bocan
Is this in the gym?

haha just bustin your chops. Does it "really" matter? I never really got the big deal, other than whether or not I lead it clean in one go or I worked it.

If you climbed it well, you climbed it well. Flash, Redpoint, onsite, flash onsite, flashpoint, fleshlight.

:oP

By adam brink
From Boulder, CO
Oct 12, 2012
Arlo in all his magnificence.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redpoint...

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Oct 12, 2012
Wilson On The Drums wrote:

Let me rephrase your question, so you can answer it yourself:

"Can a toprope climb be considered a lead climb?"

By Wilson On The Drums
From Woodbury, MN
Oct 12, 2012
best in the hills
thanks. question answered.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Oct 13, 2012
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.
Wilson On The Drums wrote:

From The Ethicist : "ethics isnít ethics until other people are involved. By that rationale, this is not an ethical predicament: The problem exists only within the interior world of your own consciousness."

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Oct 13, 2012
tanuki
I don't want to come off as a dick, but WHO CARES! Unless you are a professional or competing, worrying about this stuff seems like a waste of time. Be honest about what you do, don't damage the rock, have a good time and be safe.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Oct 13, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Locker wrote:
I really ENJOY climbing and pretty much could care less what others think. So long as you're not fucking shit up somewhere, do it pretty much any way you want, call it what you want, etc... It boils down to, we ALL do it somewhat for the same reason... FUN... So really, who gives a fuck what OTHERS do or how they do it... I know I don't...

preach on!

By Pinklebear
Oct 13, 2012
Pinklebear
For myself, as a fellow solo-TR enthusiast, I'd call it a "free ascent," then if I was still interested in the climb perhaps come back with a partner to redpoint it on lead. Or not!

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Oct 13, 2012
At the BRC
NC Rock Climber wrote:
Be honest about what you do,

I think that's what the OP is trying to do. He didn't ask whether redpointing was better or worse, how he should climb or even how much fun he needed to have to be a genuine climber.

If somebody tells me they TR'ed a route, that's one thing. If they tell me they redpointed the same route, when I know they toproped it, I'll have a very different impression of them.

So, I respectfully disagree with some of the posters on this thread. I think it IS reasonable to really care about whether people actually climb what they say.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Oct 13, 2012
...

But that's just me.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Oct 13, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Locker wrote:
"I think it IS reasonable to really care about whether people actually climb what they say."... If somebody told me they redpointed a route and then I found out later that they had TR'd it, I really couldn't give a rats ass personally. Why should I? But that's just me.

Agreed. The only time I care about what someone tells me they can climb is when I have never climbed with them before and they're my partner. I've had a couple cases where people tell me they can climb 5.XX grade and then get completely shut down. This is especially no fun 5 pitches up a 10 pitch climb in Red Rocks with no easy retreat. My fault for not climbing with him before that though...

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Oct 13, 2012
At the BRC
Locker wrote:

Because people who lie about little things tend to lie about other things too. And that does matter to me. But maybe that's just me ;-)