Camping at the New

By Ryan C.
From Woodbury, MN
Sep 17, 2013

I will be traveling to the New between October 9-17. I have not been there in over two years and have heard that Roger's is closed. I also think that the AAC campground does not have a shower house. On of the people in our group would really like a bath house of some sort. Is there other camping options that you would recommend? Or should I just tell her to deal with being covered in dirt like the rest of us?

Also is there anything else I should be aware of during this time frame?

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Sep 17, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!

You can actually go take showers for a few bucks at nearby Mountain State CG while staying at that AAC. Or just stay at Mountain State.

By cfuttner
Sep 17, 2013

Did Chestnut close after Brian passed away? Showers there. Also showers at Ray's, closer to Summersville.

By Stein Pull
Sep 17, 2013

Chestnut Creek is still open. His daughter and a guy (son in law?) took it over and they're doing a great job! Super friendly, very welcoming, same price, showers, and they're adding wifi.

I would recommend avoiding the AAC campground. A neighbor's hound howls for an hour and a half every morning at 6:00 am and there have been difficulties with the camp host. In addition it is only marginally cheaper, has no showers or running water, and the sites are dirtier.

By JoeValley
Sep 17, 2013

You should stay for Bridge Day!

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Sep 17, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!

Stein Pull wrote:

What sort of difficulties?

By Chris Whisenhunt
From Fayetteville, WV
Sep 18, 2013
Flailing at the top of Welcome to Crowders

I'm curious as to hear about the issues with the host at the AAC. Seeing how l live here at the NRG I will take those issues up with him directly.

Also if the ball was in my court then I would stay at the AAC. You can't get any better beta for the area/routes/etc than from the people that live there permanently.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Sep 18, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Here's the breakdown of camping in the area:

WITH SHOWERS: (There are probably more, but these are the prominent locations)

Rifrafters Campground
286 Rifrafters Campground Drive
Fayetteville, WV 25840
South side of bridge
5.2 miles from JY- approx. 11 minutes.
Convenient to south side crags Kaymoor, Sunshine, Cottontop, etc.

Cantrell's
49 Cantrell Drive Fayetteville, WV 25840
South side of bridge
5.1 miles/11 minutes
Convenient to south side crags

Chestnut Creek Campground

Ames Heights Road ~ PO Box 78
Lansing, West Virginia 25862-0078
North side of bridge
.25 miles/1 min. to JY

WITHOUT SHOWERS:

AAC Campground
County Rt. 60/96 directly across from JY access- you can't miss it.
North side of bridge
Walking distance to JY and Bridge crags.

Also:

Primitive FREE sites INSIDE PARK BOUNDARIES

By Chris Whisenhunt
From Fayetteville, WV
Sep 19, 2013
Flailing at the top of Welcome to Crowders

Jake Jones wrote:
Here's the breakdown of camping in the area: (all distances and times are from the campground to Junkyard Wall for reference as it's a pretty central location close to Highway 19) I did not include prices because they are subject to change, and because they are listed on the links provided for each site- except Cantrell. Could not find a price on their site, so inquire by phone or email. WITH SHOWERS: (There are probably more, but these are the prominent locations) Rifrafters Campground 286 Rifrafters Campground Drive Fayetteville, WV 25840 South side of bridge 5.2 miles from JY- approx. 11 minutes. Convenient to south side crags Kaymoor, Sunshine, Cottontop, etc. Cantrell's 49 Cantrell Drive Fayetteville, WV 25840 South side of bridge 5.1 miles/11 minutes Convenient to south side crags Chestnut Creek Campground Lansing Edmond Rd (Across from Ames Heights Rd directly across Hwy 19, it's on the left just before the small roadside store) DO NOT pay attention to the Google Maps location, it is incorrect, but it's close. North side of bridge 1 mile/3 minutes Very convenient access to all Fern/Endless/Beauty Mtn and JY and Bridge areas Ray's Campground 1199 Sunday Rd Hico, WV 25854 North side of bridge 7 miles/11 min. to JY Also convenient to Meadow River Crag- campground located at halfway point between NRG proper, and Meadow River area. Mountain State/Mill Creek campsites Ames Heights Road ~ PO Box 78 Lansing, West Virginia 25862-0078 North side of bridge .25 miles/1 min. to JY WITHOUT SHOWERS: AAC Campground County Rt. 60/96 directly across from JY access- you can't miss it. North side of bridge Walking distance to JY and Bridge crags. Also: Primitive FREE sites INSIDE PARK BOUNDARIES Maybe, if it's agreed upon as accurate, we could get an admin for the area to include this on the main NRG page. FWIW, I found the AAC host to be approachable and accomodating when I was there.

You could always start a forum post about having the info changed and then I could start a whirlwind for cursing in a public forum. :P

Good collaboration of data man.

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Sep 19, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Haha. Indeed Chris. Believe me, I've considered it. Idk whatever came of the last thread where the central theme became "revamping" the NRG page- or what transpired via PMs. All I know is that it still needs to be updated. I wish someone would. I've lobbied for it, but to no avail. So you're suggesting that I be the squeaky wheel eh? The cursing will undoubtedly be the best part- unless the NRG section gets reorganized, then it'll be a tie. HS diploma, motherfuckers. lol

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Sep 19, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!

Jake Jones wrote:

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Sep 19, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

camhead wrote:
They emailed me about admining last month or so, I said I would, and then never heard anything else. Probably for the best, since obviously I'm causing problems at the NRG now :) Jake, dude, identify yourself next time you're down, we need to drink some beers, muthuhfuckah!

Bummer. I hope someone follows up. It would be cool to see it updated. I'll be there in a few weeks if you're still there. I'll be staying at Ray's because of the showers and the closer proximity to Summersville and Meadow (mainly because of the showers though), but I have some friends that'll be staying in your spot, so I'll roll through and say hey. Have fun with that weather, the cooler temps are fantastic!

By 5.samadhi
Sep 20, 2013
me

Why was the shittalking left unresolved here?

By Rhett Burroughs 1
From Valdosta, Georgia
Sep 20, 2013

This has helped a lot. I'm going to be climbing a few days prior and then jumping at bridge day. Thanks for all the campsite info. I maybe looking for a partner also.

Yeah you should stay for bridge day and watch the show.

Thanks!

By Jake Jones
From The Eastern Flatlands
Sep 20, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

5.samadhi wrote:
Why was the shittalking left unresolved here?

Because Stein Pull did not elaborate on his (her?) vague statement.

You're welcome Rhett. Everyone feel free to add to the list if you know a good spot and have the info. You can never have too many options.

I'll be there for Bridge Day, but I only have four days off so that will most likely be a climbing day. Also worth mentioning for those that don't know, getting across the river for the bulk of the day on the 19th (I think?) will require you to circumvent Rt.19 because they close it off. Seems obvious, but I'm a dumbass and didn't know, so I'm sure there's a kindred dumbass or two out there as well. This PSA is for you.