cam lube, does it need to a special type

By William Rhyne
From clayton, nc
Apr 5, 2012
so metolius has a " special wax formula" does this mean that silicone spray will not be appropriate? what thoughts do yall have on this matter?

By DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Apr 5, 2012
The metolius stuff is the exact same as the bicycle lube "Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube". I use that kind of lube on my bike chain and it works great for keeping it lubricated but not attracting dust. It works great on my bike so I use it for cams too, I dont know what silicon lube you are talking about. The finish line stuff is like $5 a bottle and works so I would just use that.

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Apr 5, 2012
Belay
The Metolius stuff is just re-branded White Lightning as far as I can tell. Most bike shops carry it, and it seems to work well.

By DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Apr 5, 2012
Peter Franzen wrote:

No its definitely not white lightening. White Lightening is more of a wax based lube than the Finish Line/Metolius stuff which is teflon. I think the teflon type lubes work better and gunk up less than stuff like white lightening(based on my experience as a bike mechanic 5+ years).

But like I already said Metolious lube = finish line dry teflon. Buy whichever is cheaper, it works great on cams and bike chains.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Apr 5, 2012
El Chorro
I use walmart brand bike lube.

By DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Apr 5, 2012
gearx.com/metolius-cam-lube-me...

By DrApnea
From Wenatchee, WA
Apr 5, 2012
This is what I use to clean and lube the cams
cam lube
cam lube

By Gilles
From Arcata,CA
Apr 5, 2012
Suicide Rock
DexterRutecki wrote:
gearx.com/metolius-cam-lube-me... Its $3.... I guess you could always buy a knock off brand from walmart for $2.50 and save yourself 50 cents. I am surpised a climber even admits to shopping at WalMart!

Why are climbers excluded from going to Walmart? Alot of dirtbags I know love shopping at Wally World...especially for ammo and Miller High life.

By Perin Blanchard
From Orem, UT
Apr 5, 2012
Racking too much gear, as usual.
DexterRutecki wrote:

Peter Franzen wrote:
The Metolius stuff is just re-branded White Lightning...

Peter for the win: Patented, wax formula...

Finish Line also makes a wax lubricant.

By Ben Beckerich
From saint helens, oregon
Apr 6, 2012
About half way up the East Arete on Illumination R...

By DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Apr 6, 2012
And have you seen the bottle to Finish Line? It is the exact same as metolious... What do you think they changed the whole bottle or just the sticker? Not to mention I have used both and it is pretty easy to see the difference.

By Dr. Rocktopolus
From Chattanooga, TN
Apr 11, 2012
Whipping on the redpoint crux of " The Theate...
The key is not only lube but to dry it off after and blow it out with air pressure. Doing this will let the lube distribute evenly, blow out excess, and get rid of dust and debris that are causing problems with the movment around the axle of the cam.

I use a blow tip on a compresser at about 60 PSI after a very light lube. Then I wipe the cam down and check its function. I have found this method works very well.

By JonW
Apr 11, 2012
DexterRutecki wrote:

+1 on Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube. Used it a few weeks ago on my 12 year-old, never cleaned cams and they're working like new.

By DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Apr 11, 2012
Perin Blanchard wrote:
Peter for the win: Patented, wax formula... Finish Line also makes a wax lubricant.

Perin not knowing what he is talking about! Although I am sure you know quite a bit about lube we arent talking about the KY anal type.

I would not put that white lightening shit on my bike chaing let alone my cams. One of White Lightening's selling points is you dont need to clean it, the wax will just flake off taking the dirt with it(supposedly). It is wax, why would I want to jam up my cam lobes with wax? Dry Teflon for the win.

Cams dont get nearly as dirty as bike chains, Perin why would you want to put wax in your cam lobes/axles? Regardless of what the bottle says I am guessing they just changed the sticker, a lot easier to re brand a bottle with a new sticker.

By DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
Apr 11, 2012
Gilles wrote:

Because most climbers seem to be hippies who dont want to suppourt "the man" or big corporations because they are too core. I know its pretty stupid.

By cms829
Apr 13, 2012
high e
johnL wrote:
Finish Line even tastes the same as Metolius. Dex is right this time.

tongue lube?

By Bowens
From Carlsbad, CA
Apr 17, 2012
New Yosemite
Silicone is fine Will; so is oil based bike lube, etc. However, the wax-based products like Metolius lube do seem to keep the cams cleaner than veg oil based and even silicone based lubes. If you can get your hands on some metolius cam lube, that'd be best; otherwise silicone is fine.

By Jon O'Brien
From Nevada
Apr 17, 2012
i also use white lightning. follow the directions, works great