Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Buying a new rope. Suggestions?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By MeganLM
From Golden, CO
May 1, 2012

I'm looking into getting a new rope and am trying to sort out all the options.

First, does dry treatment make that much of a difference if I'm not doing any ice wet alpine climbing?

I want something durable (UIAA 8 or 9 falls) but not too heavy.

Preferably bicolor

I'm not burly enough to legitimize getting a super high performance, super expensive sport climbing rope, but some recommendations on ropes that are great for trad, sport, and lots of multipitch would be welcome.

Thanks!

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
May 1, 2012

My experience is that dry ropes slide a little easier through your belay device and pro, at least for a little while. Other than that, not sure there is much to be gained unless you are doing alpine or ice.

By Rafael Rovirosa
From Las Cruces, NM
May 1, 2012

I really like this rope.
www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/7696/Mammut-Infinity-Duodess->>>

By alleyehave
From San Diego, CA
May 1, 2012
Start of Pitch 3

Dry treatment has more benefits than just being hydrophobic. It has a better feel to it and is also much more durable(something that is of importance to you apparently).

A bipattern rope, although nice to have are a grip of money. I second the mammut infinity or the mammut supersafe for even more all-around goodness...

By Joseph Stover
From Batesville, AR
May 1, 2012

Fall rating probably shouldn't matter too much, if I understand correctly, however, I always find myself gravitating to those ropes with a rating of 10+ falls. I like 9.8-10mm 70m bi-pattern ropes. I find middle marks to be ok, but they can be hard to see after some wear --- after a year plus, I can barely makeout the one on my edelrid boa, but it can be found. Plus, after a while, you develop a feel for when you've pulled halfway through.

Dry coating probably doesn't matter, unless you have a specific use that requires it.

I have like all the ropes I have owned, and they have all held up well: Beal, Bluewater, Maxim, New England, & Edelrid. I suspect my bluewater 60m rope was a little short, but I think that just varies. I'm digging the New England 9.9mm 70m bi-pattern glider.

Just pull the trigger once you find a good deal(say 20% off msrp).

And read some reviews - do some googling for any rope before you buy, but like others say, dont worry about it too much.

By frankstoneline
May 1, 2012

bluewater lightning pro. the only rope you'll ever need.

By Lyont72
From Foco, CO
Me

Megan

I would suggest climbing with a number of different people and there ropes . . .

I have a New England Glider Bi-Pattern 9.9mm x 70m Dry-Core and love it! It has a tighter woven sheath IMO gives it nice handling ext.ext.

Happy sending

By bearbreeder
May 2, 2012

9.7-10mm 70m non dry, non bi patern basic rope ...

By michaeltarne

www.gearexpress.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_>>>

By Louis Eubank
From Boston, MA

Lyont72 wrote:
I have a New England Glider Bi-Pattern 9.9mm x 70m Dry-Core and love it!

The Glider is a phenomenal rope, especially for trad. Happy sending

By steitz
From midcoast, maine

Anything by Sterling

or the Petzl Nomad

By Mark Mueller
From Flagstaff, AZ
May 2, 2012
Great quality rock on this one!

Sterling Evolution Velocity

By dragons
From Lowell, MA
May 2, 2012

I love my Petzl Xion (10.1 mm) which I got last year.

I've used it for sport leading and for top roping - last year I did top roping on it 2-3 times a week.

I think one of the big factors in my liking it was the dry coating. The rope started out extremely manageable - very bendy and stretchy, running easily through an ATC. It didn't tangle easily, and didn't leave black marks on your hands when belaying with it.

After about a summer of use, however, it began to accumulate dirt - presumably oxide from running over carabiners. So now I get the black streaks on the palms of my hands when handling it. And it has become more tangly and less manageable. The surface of the rope was almost waxy for the first year, but by now it's gotten much more rough; I think that means the external dry coat is mostly gone. I finally caved in and washed it (cold water in the bath tub). That helped some but it's still slightly dirty.

I suspect that the dry coat is what made it so manageable and kept it clean for such a long time, but I could be wrong. I might try other ropes, but I do like the Xion. Whatever I get next, I would go for the dry coat.

FWIW the Xion has a middle marker, and I find it very easy to see. A bicolored or bipatterned rope is tempting. But you do have to be careful about that. I was climbing with someone who thought he was using my rope (it was not mine, but the color was similar), and he thought he'd seen the middle mark, but it just turned out to be some dirt. Fortunately this did not result in injury or death, but it could have (he nearly rapped off the ends of the rope). If you think this can be prevented by using a bicolored rope, even those can be trimmed unevenly. Nothing replaces manually verifying you've got the middle of the rope.

By tacowagon
up we go

steitz wrote:
Anything by Sterling or the Petzl Nomad

I have Mammut ropes (9.8 dry) but my partner has Sterlings... +1 for Sterling, what an amazing rope. It handles so well in every way.

I love the Mammut, it takes abuse, but if I were to do it all over again. Sterling.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face

I prefer PMI, they have a special oxytocin release factor for my female partners; which is a bonus

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...

"I think you can get bogged down overanalyzing all the specs on a rope. You want a rope with an 8 or 9 falls rating and bicolor? There you go, just buy it!"...

Ditto...

By Rob Selter
From running springs Ca
me

I love my mammut supersafe 10.2 and my petzl xion 10.1. But if I had to pick one I would go with the mammut.

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
May 2, 2012
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.

Here are a couple of good resources:

eveningsends.com/2012/02/how-to-choose-a-climbing-rope/
www.outdoorgearlab.com/Climbing-Rope-Reviews

Personally, I use either Mammut or Sterling ropes. I like using 9.5 - 9.8 mm diameter ropes for sport or trad climbing.

By MeganLM
From Golden, CO
May 3, 2012

Thank you all for your input. I actually have a deal where I can get 50% off MSRP but only on Bluewater, Edelweiss and Mammut ropes. So knowing I'm getting a damn good deal, among these options which would you recommend?

By Larry S
May 3, 2012
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

It's thinner than you were looking for, but if you get a mammut deal, check out the Infinity. 9.5mm, 8-9uiaa falls, light (58g/m), and plenty durable. Best rope i've had so far, great for long routes.

By Rob Selter
From running springs Ca
May 3, 2012
me

Go with the mammut I had one blue water and it was a pos.

By S. Neoh
May 4, 2012

I too have a (relavatively new) Bluewater Pulse 9.9 70m non-dry. Handles nice but still a little 'kinky'. It has a tight sheath and looks like it will wear well. Very light for a 9.9 (I have a 70m).
To the OP, since you get a deep discount on Mammut, go with Mammut. The Galaxy 10mm was my first 60m rope. I had to retire it because of number of seasons used, not due to wear or lumpiness.

By Auto-X Fil
From NEPA and Upper Jay, NY
May 4, 2012

MeganLM wrote:

In my experience, Mammut are more durable and stiffer, and less likely to tangle. Sterling are (a little) more susceptible to abrasion, but much softer handling.

For this reason, I like Mammut for skinny lines like twins/doubles, which tend to be tangle-fests and where abrasion is a big deal.

My Mammut Supersafe 10.2 is a nice bomber all-purpose rope, but really stiff. Pulling that thing through an autoblock (even B-52 or Gi-Gi) feels like it's 11mm+.

My Sterling 9.2mm Nano is awesome for anything but TR'ing or repeated falls. It's not proven to be durable, and I quickly set it aside for snow/ice and alpine routes with long approaches.

If you're mostly doing single-pitch, lowering off anchors, and not top-belaying through an auto-block, any of the 10mm-ish Mammut ropes will provide bomber performance.

By austin luper
From Fayetteville
Mar 12, 2013
shes a beaut

Mammut. Whatever you do look into something dry treated if you are going to climb a lot of multipitch you will get rained on at some point. A partner had a non treated 10.5 edelrid and we got poured on one day as i topped out. the rope got soaked as i belayed him up. It swelled up to about 11mm and stayed like that forever.

By bearbreeder
Mar 12, 2013

austin luper wrote:

if you climb a lot of multi your mammut dry treatement will wear off in about 50-100 pitches

ive got 5 mammut rope to prove it ;)

get a thinner rope for multi, and if it swells up ... learn the munter

By austin luper
From Fayetteville
Mar 12, 2013
shes a beaut

Let me clarify...make sure it's core treated. I've never had one swell up. Anyone that climbs should be able to munter......fat or skinny rope

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>