Building a home Hand/Finger Crack

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Sep 7, 2012
Slope on a rope

I've been looking around on MP and the web in general and cant seem to find any good plans for some home made crack, if anyone out there could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. Moonlight Buttress here I come :)

By btustison
From Tacoma, Washington
Sep 7, 2012

Found this much. Decent discussion about designs.

www.mountainproject.com/v/crack-climbing-machine-plans/10658>>>

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Sep 7, 2012
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.

crack machine is a good keyword search here

By dourbalistar
Sep 7, 2012

Here's an adjustable crack hangboard design that was posted over on SuperTopo, with some nice photos:
www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1912826

Sonnie Trotter also posted a crack machine design on his blog recently:
sonnietrotter.com/2012/07/19/the-crack-machine/

By mountainhick
From Black Hawk, CO
Sep 7, 2012

How to do crack at home, fingertips to off width, and left and right ringlock size corners on either side. Can also chimney/stem across from side to side. Self tending redundant dual ascender setup and a ladder to get down.

crack wall
crack wall

ascender setup with bungee cord that attaches to chest harness to self tend
ascender setup with bungee cord that attaches to chest harness to self tend

By Angela Mabe
From Flagstaff,AZ
Sep 7, 2012
On top of Dr. Rubos

My Husband made a really cool one that we have outside. we get a good workout in with it. from hands to fingers. its adjustable so you can have it steeper if you want to.
Pic Here

By John Husky
Sep 9, 2012

I have been delaying a home remodeling project for a year now wherein I'll be putting a stone veneer (schist) on an exposed concrete wall outside my house. This thread got me thinking of including climbable cracks.

The local VT granite sheds give away, or sell for a pitance, the slabs they saw off fresh block for carving. Often there is half drill holes from blasting on one side and a flat sawn face on the other.

It would be easy to saw with a circular saw and diamond blade. I think my depth would max out at 4" from the mortar scratch coat.

Now, how can I make this look like a decent home accent , and get the lady of the house on board.

By Danger-Russ Gordon
From Tempe, AZ
Sep 13, 2012
Slope on a rope

Those are some awesome pics and idea's thanks for the guidance and inspiration!!

By KevinCO
From Loveland, CO
Jun 19, 2013

Crack simulator
Crack simulator

It leans, but the angle makes it harder. Also, at 400 lbs, I was relieved to get it in place.