Bozeman, MT your thoughts?

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Jul 10, 2014
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of C...
May have a job offer in Bozeman Montana, what are your thoughts on the city? I don't downhill ski so . . . . .

Just give me your impressions of the area, it's culture, climbing, ect. Any imput would be helpful.

Thanks

By Dara
From Boulder till winter
Jul 10, 2014
The Gurgler (the climb, not me!)
Can't speak to the rock climbing there, but the ice climbing in Hyalite Canyon is really great. It's a college town and the vibe is pretty good, and there are some decent restaurants for a town its size (if you care about that kind of thing.) Suspect there's a good climbing community there, if the annual ice festival is any indication. It's put on by Joe Josephson (guidebook author; local force of nature) and his hard-working crew and it keeps the road to the canyon plowed in the winter. If you don't ice climb......what's wrong with you?
(JK, not really trying to violate rule #1.)

By Seth Kane
From Bozeman, Montana
Jul 11, 2014
prindle
if your not an ice climber and you dont ski, it's not going to be too great in the winter. That said, I climbed on rock every month of the year last winter. There's fun trad in gallatin canyon and towards Butte, and a bunch of okay sport. There's amazing alpine climbing in the beartooths. Youre close enough for a weekend trip to the needles, city of rocks, devils tower, the wind river range and the tetons.

By Graham Johnson
Jul 11, 2014
I lived in Bozeman for several months a few years ago. I really liked the town - as others have said, it's a cool place, some pretty good restaurants, coffee places etc... I did find it very hard to break into the climbing community. Had I stayed longer, I suspect I would have met some very cool people, but I only managed to get out a few times while I was there.

By bttrrtRock
Jul 11, 2014
No, its not a winter rock climbing destination, but there are options. The are many towns with better climbing, but this place has plenty of great climbing and as said is in proximity to SO much! If your there you might as well get into ice climbing. Plus overall stoke is high. People are nice. Its super easy to get out of town for quick climbing sessions or road trips. If itís a job you want to take, just do it. Bozemans cool.

By Scotty Nelson
From Boulder
Jul 11, 2014
Post- Greenwood/Locke, Mt Temple, Canda
My wife went to Montana State in Bozeman. Sounds like a great place to me ... also from what I understand, it's hard to get a decent paying job there. Sounds like you are lucky -- I'd give it a shot!

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Jul 11, 2014
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of C...
Thanks everyone.

Yeah I don't downhill ski but I do cc ski and winter backpack a great deal. Being from northern Minnesota I'm well versed in winter fun!

I'm a big backpacker at heart so being close to Yellowstone and Glacier is nice for me.