Boston T-accesible climbing

By Samm
Jan 21, 2014

Have you tried this ?

By Ben Thesing
Jan 21, 2014
Piece of Cake     Jimmy Cliff

I have not. Much better than google maps often faulty t times. Thank you!

By Christopher Gagne
From Dover
Jan 22, 2014
me on into another world pawtuckaway

Ben, Find a copy of Boston Rocks... You'll find that there is bouldering with in the city proper and probably within walking distance from where you're going to school.

By john strand
From southern colo
Jan 22, 2014

Getting to the Quarries requires train, then bus..or a pretty long walk.

There are some more urban points like Kenmore or Olmstead that can be direct .

Can you take bikes on the T ??? That would really help

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Jan 22, 2014

john strand wrote:
Getting to the Quarries requires train, then bus..or a pretty long walk. There are some more urban points like Kenmore or Olmstead that can be direct . Can you take bikes on the T ??? That would really help

not on the T but on busses and the commuter rail...i would always just green line it to hammond pond and call it good. Quarries are a pain int he ass without a car and even then not really all that better than the pond. Crow Hill is awesome. If your a student sign up for ZipCar - $25 - at least when i was there and then you can rent a car whenever for dirt cheap. We used them all the time to move or get anywhere further than biking would allow

By Russ Keane
Jan 22, 2014
Where's Waldo?

Black Rocks in Melrose is actually quite good. Very short distance (walkable) from the uppermost stop on the Orange Line (Oak Grove). There is a huge wilderness area with tons and tons of rock. One area is quite famous for old-school activity and is rather high. You can actually trad-lead it. Or just highball around. Then there are other areas further in that have great short TR problems (or high bouldering). Fun place.

By john strand
From southern colo
Jan 22, 2014

If you get a bike, commuter rail to southboro/hopkinton and then bike to Milford Bouldering (20 minutes or so)very nice.Also some decent stuff in Hopkinton state park 5 minutes away.

By Taylor J
From new mexico, new england
Jan 22, 2014
My home project.... <br /> <br /><em>Eds. It may be called "The Compactor".</em>

Ben Thesing wrote:
Hey everyone. I'm a student living in Boston (from NH), and my friends and I regardless of the snow are starting to get pumped for the spring and taking advantage of the climbing. We're planning on heading to Lynn Woods, Hammond Pond, and Quincy Quarries...what we aren't sure of is how to get to Lynn and Quincy on the T. Any MA locals have any advice? Of course we'd love to get to Farley and Crow Hill but without a car it's a little difficult. Thank you! -Ben

Crow hill is like 7 miles from the train station in Fitchburg kind of a long walk unless you hitch or take a cab as stated above it would not be far with a bike...

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Jan 23, 2014

Back in the day, I used a bike to get to a variety of bouldering & crags like Hammond Pond, Route 9 Boulder, Mt. Madison, Olmstead, and Kenmore Walls.

By Ben Thesing
Jan 23, 2014
Piece of Cake     Jimmy Cliff

Thank you everyone for your great advice! Keep it coming. I love hearing older climbers talk about their experiences in the area.

By M Sprague
From New England
Jan 23, 2014

If you haven't already, you should check out NEClimbs.com. Lots of really old climbers there, some from the greater Boston area.

By jim.dangle
Jan 23, 2014

Good quality but dispersed granite bouldering in the Dogtown area is a short walk from the commuter rail station in Rockport.

The train actually goes right through it-- and by several boulders-- and so it is likely fastest to walk back along the tracks (the MBTA might not like that though). Otherwise walk back along Main St and enter near the Babson House. The Tarr Trail boulders can be accessed easily from there. There is more bouldering than listed on this site though a lot of the unlisted stuff is easier (<V3) but still good quality. If you do walk along the tracks its worth exploring as there are unlisted boulders along the way particular on the North side of the tracks but also on the south side in places.

From the West Gloucester Station, the various interconnected conservation lands that make up Redrock, Oz, Cavalry, Dyke's Pond, Mt. Jacob, etc. are probably around a mile. Maybe a little more to actually get to the climbing. You can camp there if you like with views of the ocean and sleep under the boulders and make the ticks very happy.

Jim

By john strand
From southern colo
Jan 24, 2014

M Sprague wrote:

HAH.. your not far behind.Mark

By M Sprague
From New England
Jan 24, 2014

That is why I said it. Less than a month and a half and it will be official.

By kevin neville
From Somerville, MA
Jan 24, 2014

You CAN take a bike on the T. Not during peak hours weekdays, and not on the Green Line, but otherwise yes.

By ccerling
From Boston, MA
Jan 24, 2014
me

I know it's not nearly as good as climbing outside but RockSpot is going to be opening a gym in Southie this summer. It will be an easy walk from either Broadway or Andrew Square on the Red Line.

By Ben Thesing
Jan 25, 2014
Piece of Cake     Jimmy Cliff

M Sprague wrote:

Thank you Mark I will check that out. Can't wait to try out some of your classic routes at Rumney this spring!

By Taylor J
From new mexico, new england
Jan 25, 2014

ccerling wrote:

So there will be what 5 gyms in Boston now?

By Brian Weinstein
Jan 25, 2014

There is a SURPRISING amount of rock in and around the Boston area. I have been here for a year and a half and keep finding new places to get a quick bouldering session in. You can find boulders by just scrambling around the open spaces near West Rox, Newton, Needham and Dedham. Not the highest quality, but still good to move. Plenty of classic Barber lines around outside the city not to be missed.

By Taylor J
From new mexico, new england
Jan 25, 2014

Brian Weinstein wrote:

+1 on the Henry Barber lines always a must...

By Nick Grant
From Natick, MA
Jan 25, 2014
A photo of me on Across the Universe taken by the Strandman back in '83.

Ben, speaking of Hot Henry routes, you should try the retaining walls in Kenmore Square that hold up the overpass (if you're a student in Boston, you must be relatively close to Kenmore). Barbarian Ballbuster used to be a local testpiece. If you like overhangs, go to the Rte. 9 boulder, the Temple Area Overhangs on the Hammond Pond Parkway, or the Alcove which is right near the Chestnut Hill Mall. All of these areas are in Newton and are very accessible via the Green Line.

By Jcomeau
From Hopkinton, MA
Jan 25, 2014

Ben, if you ever want to come out and check out the milford area bouldering, I live 2 min away from the T in southboro. I can show you around.

By Ben Thesing
Jan 26, 2014
Piece of Cake     Jimmy Cliff

Nick Grant wrote:

The Kenmore Square bouldering is about a 3 minute walk from me. I have checked it out, but haven't been able to find a wall without a landing covered in glass. Planning on checking out Hammond pond once warmer temps hit. Thank you for the great info!

By Ben Thesing
Jan 26, 2014
Piece of Cake     Jimmy Cliff

Jcomeau wrote:

Yeah i'll PM you if I'm headed that way. Thank you!

By john strand