Bill Banning Anonymous Internet Comments

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
May 24, 2012
My navigator keeps me from getting lost

It's hard to imagine this going through, especially considering the Supreme Court precedent mentioned in the article. But, nonetheless, it would have interesting ramifications for MP and the discussions here.

techland.time.com/2012/05/24/the-new-york-bill-that-would-ba>>>

By Unassigned User
May 24, 2012

dude I love the trolls... Trolling a troll is one of my favorite things to do at work. If NY actually carries through with this it will be a signifigant hit to freedom of speech.

By randy88fj62
May 24, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

Interesting article. Why would NY, or the US for that matter, care who is behind each comment online? What purpose or gain would come from such a law?

By ccerling
From Boston, MA
May 24, 2012
me

It sounds like some balding middle aged legislator is probably angry about comments that have been posted about them online. Either way given the precedent set by the US Supreme Court I see that bill getting knocked down in a hurry if it ever becomes law.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
May 24, 2012

Well, I suppose we are all more or less anon here- though it takes very little to figure out who I am, by way of example.
I don't believe in total anonymity in comments, as I believe that I should be willing to own anything I am willing to say... a philosophy I believe that would improve most discussions. However...
There are places where things are done anon for reasons such as self protection. Shoot, Joe the Plumer had the IRS all up in his "plumbing" after asking Obama questions in a non-anon forum.
If this law were to pass, I'd make it a policy to start immediately with being as anonymous as possible. I'd invite the test case. The IJ and the ACLU I am sure would lend a lawyer or 20...

By matt davies
May 24, 2012

randy88fj62 wrote:
What purpose or gain would come from such a law?

Less feelings would be hurt. It seems that is our highest national priority, domestically.

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
May 24, 2012
My navigator keeps me from getting lost

So, I wonder, if this bill were to pass, would sites that have a presence in NY be required to prohibit any anonymous posters regardless of their location?

The more I think about it, the more of a cluster this would be. Just imagine, social media ceases to exist in NY because site owners wouldn't enforce this regulation for people outside of the state of NY.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
May 24, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

If that happens, I'm legally changing my name to Mutto N. Face. That article gave me diarrhea.

By Woodchuck ATC
May 24, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

awww crap . you mean there goes all the nifty screen names,and now we gotta post up our REAL fake name, like on our Facebook profiles?

By Zappatista
May 28, 2012
Book me, officer.

The rules must be followed! The white zone is for loading, and for unloading only! This is the Central Ska-RUtinizer speaking....

I like the anonyminity that comes from a clever handle or carefully tailored pencil-thin mustachio...or a free bouldering hat, a balaclava, and some 80s shades.

Speaks for itself. How did that guy in the back get in there? Dude, you're fucking up the ratio!

That party was pretty fun. Lost my Police shirt for a couple hours there at one point. This was while most everyone still had their clothes on. The next pic in the series was requested not to be published by one of the girls who has political aspirations. Too bad, it was a good one...

Hey, we were talking politics, right? I lost track..

By Woodchuck ATC
May 28, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

My invite to that party must have got lost in the mail....

...Nice crowd!

By Merlin
From Grand Junction
May 28, 2012

Its NY, you need lawyers to buy a home. What do you expect from the most over regulated state in the union?

By TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
May 28, 2012
Me on One Pitch Wonder at Whitesides.  Photo credits to Kyle Jones and his lucky anti-rain jacket.

JonathanHillis wrote:

I would disagree with the "hit to freedom of speech" comment. Not all speech is protected. Liable and slander are not protected. I like the idea of people standing behind their negative or false comments with their name. It would be nice if it actually curbed some of the destructive behavior on the internet. You look at something like facebook, where your name is attached to every post, the negativity is not nearly as high when you look at something like the anonymous comments on cnn.com.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
May 28, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

The Dread Pirate Killis wrote:
The next pic in the series was requested not to be published by one of the girls who has political aspirations. Too bad, it was a good one... Hey, we were talking politics, right? I lost track..

Dude, how did you explain without complete embarrassment what MP.com was, why you made the sign, and why you wanted to say "suck it" to them? I keep my online beefs way private. Even discussing it with friends makes me squirm in my chair. Gah.

That said, the bully pulpit is much nicer with hot chicks on it.

By Zappatista
May 29, 2012
Book me, officer.

Stich, privacy's for those who have something to be ashamed of. I think I said "Hey, tonight there are a shitload of rock climber nerds sitting at home playing one-up against each other while the rest of the free world gets drunk, laid, naked, or some combination of the above. Want to show them what they're missing?" And so the cameras rolled...I'm happy to get laughs at this site's expense, it IS worth poking fun at the social dysfunction that manifests itself here.

Ironically, I got a lot of female attention while making the poster, which took about 15 minutes in between drinking and giving hugs to the new folks arriving at the party. Apparently, stupid pink hats, lack of a shirt (it's Vegas, it's hot all the time), and some vague artistic intent acted like Spanish Fly to Eastern European tennis player chicks. Best part was going home at 230 am and clocking in at work at 7, feeling like a million bucks. My girl loved the photos, and was proud of me for staying late enough to sober up before heading home. Water is the key to DUI avoidance, ladies and gents. Oh, who am I kidding: guys.

Also, online "beefs" aren't nearly as entertaining to me as the female posterior (see my profile description), so doing what you did a couple of years ago and reposting all the Misty Murphy dreck to six different sites to hype up some pointless drama is more your scene.

Remember when you passed on a rumor that you heard I'd ripped off someone's draws at the Red, and then corrected that Rick the Stick ripped off someone's draws at Red Rocks' the Pier, all without ever saying "My bad-my mistake"? Besides a charming personality, stupid wardrobe, and vicious sarcasm, a long memory is among my strong suits. And yet I still post under my own name, despite the epic slander that you helped fan the flames of.

Thanks for that.