Best place to resole?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Gravity Slave
From Palisades Park, NJ
Aug 3, 2011
finger of fate (moby grape / cannon)

I live in NJ and the sole of my Scarpa Feroces are starting to wear to the rand and I want to fix them before they become a problem.

So a couple questions:

1) Scarpa has that V-tension toe thing, if I get them resoled, will that stay? I can actually notice the difference it provides and don't really want to lose it.

2) What's the best place (quality, price, return time) to get a resole done?

By Bill M
From Fort Collins, CO
suffering

I use Rock & Resole in Boulder and am happy with their work. 2-3 turnaround.

By Berkeley
From Boulder, CO
Font!

I have no basis for comparison, but I've had at least 10 pairs of shoes resoled at Rock and Resole, and they do a great job.

By Matt J
From Bozeman, Montana
Aug 4, 2011

I have to disagree, rock & resole was completely unprofessional, in terms of quality of resole, and customer service. I will never go back.

Yosemite Bum has however been the complete opposite. I have had at least 10 pairs done and my shoes come back like new.

By JonathanC
From CO
Aug 4, 2011

Got a relatively simple shoe, Sportiva Katana, done at Rock and Resole and they came back peeling between the rand and the sole on day 1. In essence, I paid $40 for two new rands as I had to get a resole to get rid of the delam.

I've had great experiences with Cascade Cobbler in terms of workmanship and attention to detail. Maybe a little slow and not very communicative but when the shoes come back you see that it was worth the wait.

By Gif Zafred
From Pittsburgh, PA
Gif on Bimbo Shrine, Kaymoor

I've had two great experiences with Rock & Resole. See my review here: rockclimberlife.com/rock-resole-review

By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

Matt J wrote:
I have had at least 10 pairs done and my shoes come back like new.

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Just a teaser

+1 for rock and resole in Boulder.
Think I've had 6(?) shoes resoled there and everytime they come back looking like new. Even the leather feels better.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard

I have no problem bending the trigger wires back in place on my cams and have gotten countless shoes resoled through Yosemite Bums. I am happy to report many "like new" returns, although the last two my lady and I sent in came back sized a little differently; a new kink in the very reliable service I've recieved throughout the years. I may break up the monogamy and get my next pair resoled somewhere else just as a basis of comparison.

By Larry S
Aug 4, 2011
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

Zeke wrote:

Your lady might not like it if you break up the monogamy.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Colonel Mustard

Larry S wrote:
Your lady might not like it if you break up the monogamy.

As long as I'm wearing rubber....

By Larry S
Aug 4, 2011
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

I see how this applies then

Zeke wrote:
a new kink in the very reliable service I've recieved throughout the years.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Aug 4, 2011
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

Rock n Resole had my shoes back to me in 7 days (chicago) from the day I sent them out. Great service

By Matt J
From Bozeman, Montana

Phil Lauffen wrote:
You've had ten pairs done and you're not sure its ok to just bend the trigger wires back on a cam...? I have tried a couple places around CO, and rock and resole is by far the best place everytime. They do a great job on your shoes.

I just started climbing on gear this spring.

By Gravity Slave
From Palisades Park, NJ
Aug 4, 2011
finger of fate (moby grape / cannon)

hah, wow. You guys made my morning. Thanks

I guess rock and resole it is. I hope I'm not one the bad experiences. At that point I might as well wear them through and just spend the $ on a new pair...

any other votes?

By Larry S
Aug 4, 2011
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

I had my katanas done at rock and resole years ago, they were just like new when i got them back. Recently had them done at Yosemite Bum (with all my shoes, actually) and they did a good job as well, great looking rand job, but i'm not sure I like their rubber as much. Might just be in my head though.

By Steve Murphy
From Fort Collins, CO
Never taunt a goat

Dave Page the Cobbler. One pair, very poor job.

Ramuta's. Three pairs, excellent job and he fixed for a reduced price the first pair that had been so poorly done by Page's place. I think this is the only place on my list where one person is responsible for all the repairs, which may make for a more consistent quality.

Yosemite Bum. Three pairs, two excellent and one so-so. All my Evolv resoles go there as it's a little cheaper for Evolv and I like their choice of stiffer mid-sole.

Rock and Resole. Three pairs plus two for friends, all within the past few months. All excellent.

By David Harding
From Albuquerque, NM
Aug 4, 2011

I've tried Rock & Resole two separate times: one pair good, one pair delaminated within days.

Dave Page Cobbler has done dozens of shoe resoles (some with rand repair) for me and all have been excellent. One time I tried a different kind of rubber and hated it, and Dave re-did them for free.

By Helldorado
From Boulder, CO
Aug 4, 2011

I have gone to rock and resole for years, but last time my friend get his shoes resoled there, they did a shitty job gluing the rubber on the side of the shoe, they quickly began to de-laminate.

They usually do an excellent job, but if the craftsmanship is somehow less than perfect, take your shoes back and tell them to do it right.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro

I've had great work and service from Rubber Room and Friction Fix. I like supporting Friction FIx since I know that the owners are good people.

By Bill M
From Fort Collins, CO
suffering

Could the wide variation in results be due more to the condition of the shoes that were sent to these places than the quality of their process? I send my shoes back as soon as I see leather in the crease between the rand and the sole.

By Allen Hill
From FIve Points, Colorado and Pine
Slick Rock put in

In my opinion nobody is better than Steve Komito in Estes Park. He's been doing it longer than anyone. I've never had a bad experience and i've had climbing shoes and hiking/mountaineering resoled by him for 30 years.

By mattm
From TX
Grande Grotto

Another vote for Ramuta. He's been doing my shoes for close to a decade now. Awesome work.

By Adam Winters
From the Shire
Red-tail Hawk, Buttermilks

Simon and Tony at the Rubber Room in Bishop, CA will hook it up. They don't mess around.

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rubber-Room/159407300753012?ref=t>>>

By timt
From Wheat Ridge, CO
on lead, Mean Green Cody,WY

Allen Hill wrote:

Steve does an amazing job & has always had quick turn around for me.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

timt wrote:
+1 Steve does an amazing job & has always had quick turn around for me.

I'll third that and add an OMG NOT AGAIN to this thread.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>