Best place in Switzerland for 3 days in early July?

By Josh S
Mar 13, 2014

Going to have three days in early July, am looking for a good place to climb for a few days. Leaving the rack at home, so it will have to be all bolts. Also, going to need to rent a rope.

We were thinking of getting a place in Interlaken, seems to be a lot of stuff around there, and maybe doing a day trip to Melchsee-Frutt? Any input highly appreciated!

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Mar 13, 2014
El Chorro

Doubt you'll be able to rent a rope. Can't imagine a Swiss (or any European shop) being allowed to rent climbing ropes. You could always rent a guide...

By Noah.J
From Carrboro, NC
Mar 14, 2014
Breithorn ski descent

Had an amazing time in Zermatt in mid June last year. The Jagihorn is a 1200ish ft moderate (5.6-9) sportily bolted climb and very worth doing, easily done in a day without need for a super early alpine start.

But really. It's Switzerland, there's so much good stuff there you should just pick something fun and roll. I recommend the Filidor and SAC guide books. Helpful to speak some German, French or Italian. English was not universally spoken.

By mcarizona
From Flag
Mar 14, 2014

Bulmers was very hospitable in Interlaken and had a guide service when I stayed there. Didnt use them but Bagged my first Alp right up the street (hardefrau?). Im afraid I have to report that i was bitten profusely by bedbugs, but no other complaints. That place is scenic as hell!
Steve

By Dan Flynn
From MA
Mar 21, 2014
5b upper pitch in the clouds

Don't know about renting ropes, but you for sure have lots of possibilities for sport climbing. Just saw Filidor has a new guidebook just for interlaken. You won't need a book for single-pitch stuff, can often find route name and grade on the base, or ask someone (in English if necessary!).

Melchsee-Frutt is awesome for some very laid-back sport climbing. Nice views, relatively easy access by public transit.

Hintisberg is another great option, although if you don't have a car it will be a bit of a hike up the hill (maybe 1.5hr from the restaurant up to the cliffs). Spectacular views, awesome rock.

Schillingsflue is fun for single-pitch stuff, but you're just in the forest and no great views.

Meiringen apparently has good single-pitch cliffs, and even easier to get to from Interlaken (I didn't climb there, so haven't added them here).

If it's not possible to bring a 60 and draws, guiding is probably the only option. With a guide you could go hit something more alpine, too...

By Mike Lydon
From park city, utah
Mar 26, 2014

if you don't have gear, ask around for the via ferratas. My kids and I did a fun one between murren and gimmewald (more of a traverse, but with 1500ft of air below you).

By Josh S
Mar 26, 2014

Thanks for the info everyone! I was looking online a few weeks ago and found a site that rented gear, including ropes. Now I can't find anything and has me wondering if I imagined it.

If we can't find a place to rent a rope, we'll probably bring a rope nearing the end of its life and leave it in Switzerland. We're gonna be traveling in Asia for a few weeks after that and in the words of JJ Cale - Travelin' light is the only way to fly.

By aliebling
Mar 26, 2014

It's easy enough to mail the rope (and whatever else) back to yourself (or a friend if you won't be home any time soon). We did this after after climbing in France last summer.