Best Harness for a guy with some skier legs?

By Greg G
From SLC, UT
Apr 18, 2011
The route in it's entirety.

I've tried on the BD Chaos, and it seems like that harness was designed for lady thighs. Haven't had a chance to try any Petzl's, and am curious to see if they fit the same. I have a BD Momentum with the adjustable leg loops, but want a harness without them. The leg loops on the Momentum tend to come undone from 'doubled back' mode. Not necessesarily life threatening as it's not an issue with the swami, but a nuisance non the less.

Any advice from some thunderously thighed men?

By Greg D
From Here
Apr 18, 2011
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

I have the same issue. I'm having good luck with Wild Country's ziplock unisex with non adjustable leg loops. The waist tail is a bit long but not a problem since it has two spandex loops to tuck it away. Only about 50 buck, too!

By Kevin Craig
Apr 18, 2011
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

You'll find the same issue with Petzl and Arcteryx harnesses. I have about a 35" waist and 26"ish inch diameter thighs. I need an XL for my legs and a L for the waist. Never found a harness with non-adjustable leg loops that fits both my waist and legs.

I actually bought a L and an XL of the Arcteryx R-320(?) and swapped out the XL leg loops onto the L swami - yes I'm nuts, but I *really* like this harness. BTW, if there's anyone out there with a big waist and skinny legs, I've got a harness for you!!!

By Kilroywashere!
From Harrisonburg, Virginia
Apr 18, 2011
Kilroy

petzl adjama, i've been wearing mine for 2 1/2 years and love it

By Kevin Craig
Apr 18, 2011
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

froggy wrote:
petzl adjama, i've been wearing mine for 2 1/2 years and love it

Really? The Sama doesn't work for me. Will try the adjama.

• *EDIT** the adjama has adjustable leg loops. OP said he wanted a harness without adjustable leg loops.

By Dan Cucci
Apr 18, 2011

Greg G wrote:
I've tried on the BD Chaos, and it seems like that harness was designed for lady thighs. Any advice from some thunderously thighed men?

You might actually have better luck with a women's harness since designs for guys generally have a closer leg/waist ratio. I have a BD women's Aura because the "men's" version of that harness - the Ozone - leg loops are way too small when I get the proper waist belt size. Women's harnesses have larger leg loops for the same waist belts.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Apr 18, 2011

Dan Cucci wrote:

agreed- but make sure to hang in them as the rise tends to be longer, which can translate to an improper fit overall. i have the same problem, and the arc'teryx women's fits me better than the mens, but the rise is too long for me.

By Cory
From Boise, ID
Apr 18, 2011
Relaxing in the Tuttle Creek Campground after a fun day in the Hills

I had the same issue with the BD Chaos. I needed a medium waist but a large for the legs. I wish you could cinch the waist down just a bit more and then the large would fit . . . I too have gone back to a Momentum for the adjustable legs.

By mattm
From TX
Apr 18, 2011
Grande Grotto

Give Misty Mountain a call. They'll do a custom harness for you. I have the same issue (33in waist, 24.5in Legs) and Arcteryx etc don't work in a men's version. My sport harness is a Mammut Togir and that's pretty solid.

I got Misty to make me a custom Cadillac with non-adjustable, fitted leg loops. IT'S SWEET

By climber pat
From Las Cruces, NM
Apr 18, 2011

I too have the same problem and am considering buying two harnesses to get a proper fit.

Perhaps a harness manufacturer will read this thread and start to produce harness with reasonable measurements for the average guy rather than the pro sport climber. Or support mix and match of leg loops and waist belt. Really what is the issue with adding a 3-4 inches to the webbing of an adjustable leg loop?

I have seen people climbing with adjustable leg loops with less than 1 inch of tail exiting the buckle. Scary.

By sunder
From Alsip, Il
Apr 19, 2011
ICE PIT 2011

I use to do a lot of aggressive skating when i was you and have monster legs. I use the Wild Country Syncro... Super comfy i hang in the harness all the time route setting.

By sunder
From Alsip, Il
Apr 19, 2011
ICE PIT 2011

I also want to check out the new Arc'teryx b360a harness. Looks lite and comfy.

www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Climbing_Gear/B-360a

They even have a sizing chart for the harness and includes the leg loop sizes.

www.arcteryx.com/sizing-charts.aspx?EN

Oh did i mention is $175 but is only 360 g / 12.7 oz

By Evan Sanders
From Westminster, CO
Apr 19, 2011
Flaming Pumpkin

My vote is for the Black Diamond Phoenix. It's seems like it would suit your problem, mine is perfect in the waist (I'm a L) but too loose in the legs

By Dirk
From QUEENS NEW YORK
May 1, 2011

I can't fit my thighs into the Sama, but strangely the Hirundos is a perfect leg-loop fit, and very comfortable despite its size. I have found the to be true for both the green and orange versions. Good luck.

By Kevin Craig
May 1, 2011
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

Dirk wrote:

Odd because the Petzl website lists the Hirundos as only going up to a thigh diameter or 24.5" vs. the Sama which lists 26.5".

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
May 1, 2011
El Chorro

MISTY MOUNTAIN THREADWORKS

By Robb Anglesey
From Provo, UT
May 25, 2011

I had the same problem. Solution: Womens harness.

I liked the sama and my waist fit perfectly in the mens medium.... but the legs were to small. Turns out the Salena Large (womens version) had the mens medium waist and the mens large legs. Yes... i know it is pink but it fits perfectly. Im sure other brands are like that too. Just size up for the womens. Don't be afraid of showing part of your feminine side.

By -sp
From East-Coast
May 25, 2011
Buenos Dias!

Robb Anglesey wrote:
Yes... i know it is pink but...

You can start earning you man-card back if you call it cranberry/grey like it's listed in the catalog.