Best climbing in AZ in January?

By Clayton Knudson
From Fargo, ND
Nov 15, 2013

Heading down to Arizona for a couple weeks in January. Looking for some 5.11- and down trad and sport climbing. Thinking the Tuscon area would be best but maybe I'm wrong. I have been excited to come visit your state for a while, let me know whats good! Thanks in advance.

Clay

By DesertRat
Nov 15, 2013

I think just about anywhere you end up in AZ, you won't be disappointed. Tucson has Cochise, Lemmon and many backcounty crags as well. Phoenix has the McDowells and there is a bunch of god trad climbing east of Phoenix as well, such as Oak Flat. In between Flagstaff and Phoenix is Isolation Canyon, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. All are awesome and good in the winter. A little west of Sedona, in Prescott, is Granite Mountain, which is superb multipitch granite. Even Flagstaff has winter climbing, such as The Overlook. Depending on the weather, you may even get to sneak in a trip to the Forks.

All of these areas are super good. I think the better question to ask is how you are going to decide.

By Clayton Knudson
From Fargo, ND
Nov 16, 2013

That is overwhelming! In a good way though, would definitely like to get some multi pitch done as my friends have never done it before so granite mountain sounds like a good place to go. Also want to get down to the stronghold because it looks amazing. Thanks for the info!

Clay

By DesertRat
Nov 16, 2013

That sounds like a good plan. Sedona has some really cool summits, that shouldn't be missed, as well. It is only a hop and skip away from Granite Mountain, but it will be worth spending at least a couple of days there as well.

By BenClimbing
Nov 16, 2013

January is usually the perfect time to visit the tufa city side of the homestead to do excellent routes like this: www.mountainproject.com/v/tufa-yard-dash/106579242

A lot of the best climbing at the homestead is harder than 11- but there is plenty to satisfy for a few days of climbing.

By CJC
Nov 16, 2013

granite mt for your first multipitch...

prepare to be humbled!

stronghold is hard to beat. paradise.

By Red
From Arizona
Nov 18, 2013
Cobra Kai

I agree with Ben and CJC. Homestead (sport) and Cochise (trad, multipitch, and sport) are your best bet for January. Isolation Canyon is great but can sometimes have snow in the winter and the main wall is East facing, so shady all afternoon. Sedona and lower Mt Lemmon are good options too.
Enjoy your visit!

By manuel rangel
From Tempe, Arizona
Nov 18, 2013
Trying to redpoint The Ugly 11c; steeper than it looks and the rock is scary in spots but good enough.

Although Red is right, there can be snow in Isolation in January, I wouldn't let that stop you. I have climbed there shirtless with snow on the ground. The sunny south facing crags are all 5.11s and under.

Check on the weather report when you get close because it may cause your plans to change. Wind and snow can make Cochise brutal while central AZ is blazing in the warm sun.

If you will be in Tucson, you will most likely enjoy Milagrosa Canyon at bottom of Mt Lemmon. Even some of the higher crags would be just fine. Following the weather is your best bet.

By Clayton Knudson
From Fargo, ND
Nov 20, 2013

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I was thinking of stopping in Red Rock for a week before heading down to AZ but it looks like I better get down there as soon as possible. I'll probably get down around the Phoenix area around the 27th of December if people are looking for partners hit me up. Thanks again to everybody for the replies!

clay