Best bouldering in Socal

By Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Jul 21, 2011
oh
Just wondering what ya'll think?

black mountain or jtree is Number one for me
Tramway with a close second and would be first if you did not have to take the tram.

By Choss Chasin'
From Torrance, CA
Jul 21, 2011
Black Mountain
J-tree is number one!

By Chris D
From the couch
Jul 23, 2011
Sign near the Third Flatiron
Mt. Rubidoux, of course.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Jul 25, 2011
You mean it's not Stoney?! It would have to be either Josh or Black Mt. Horse Flats would rank much higher if it had more there. However, if you're giving any emphasis to crack climbing, Mt. Woodson would have to factor in. So many good, varied cracks down there it's simply ridiculous. I'd give my eyeteeth to have that area closer to home.

By Chris Owen
From La Crescenta and Big Bear Lake
Aug 22, 2011
There's more than one use for an Ice Hammer. Lake District (UK) late '70s
Stoney Point....it's my favorite anyway.

By Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Aug 23, 2011
Me and Spearhead
Is this a trick question?

By Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Aug 23, 2011
oh
Your a trick question....!

By Chad_N
From SEKI, CA
Aug 24, 2011
topping out on Hamilton Dome with the Angel Wings in the background
Been to:
1. Jtree. 2. Stoney Pt. 3. Woodson 4. Santa Barbara. 5. Santee 6. Wagon Wheel. 7. Rubidoux

If I went to Black Mtn or the Tram, I think they would be good contenders for #1, more so Black Mtn since I like highballs.

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Aug 28, 2011
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering
black mountain

By ron amick
From poway, ca
Sep 30, 2011
me
Joshua Tree, Giant rock airport, Black Mtn, Mt Woodson, and if youre calling wagon wheel socal, add that, deadmans summit and the buttermilks... in no particular order

By Jonny Z
From Pacific Beach
Oct 12, 2011
Rainbow!! If you know someone who can take you there.

By HarrisonE
From Stateline, NV
Nov 7, 2011
the ridge boulder
Bring a wire brush and alot of tape!

By Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Nov 7, 2011
oh
HarrisonE wrote:
DOS CABEZAS!! You didn't hear this from me, but dos cabezas has the best non-established bouldering in San Diego county. Miles and miles of boulders. Bring a wire brush and alot of tape!

Is this area down by the border, in the desert?

By HarrisonE
From Stateline, NV
Nov 7, 2011
the ridge boulder
Robin like the bird wrote:
Is this area down by the border, in the desert?

Yup

By David Gershwin
From San Diego, CA.
Nov 8, 2011
A lot has been done out at Dos Cabesas, I wouldn't consider it "non-established". Be cool out there because it is an archeologically-sensitive site. The ABDSP rangers have already closed down areas to vehicle travel and over-night camping due to careless behavior by climbers (i.e. building fires against boulders with native american pictographs, driving off of established roadways, and clearing out bases of climbs with shovels). The inclusion of this area in the SD county climbing guide was a bummer to many of us. Not to be too negative- have fun out there but be smart.

By plantmandan
From Brighton, Co
Nov 9, 2011
J Tree after blizzard
McCain Valley deserves to be near the top of this list.

By J. Broussard
From CordryCorner
Nov 9, 2011
Young Good Free Face, 11b
Socal looks like social upon a glance. Today I decided that I'd bite the bullet and see where the best social bouldering is after seeing the thread limp along since late July; and all I learned is that it's all in California. Climbers elsewhere aren't social, I guess.

By RTM
Nov 10, 2011
For the overall experience I'd say Joshua Tree. Tram has the best bouldering and rock, but the scene is like going to a climbing gym inside of Disneyland.

By HarrisonE
From Stateline, NV
Mar 25, 2012
the ridge boulder
Changed my mind, the new area 'Jasper Trail' is the best I've seen around SD.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Mar 26, 2012
RTM wrote:

Are you saying that because of the tram ride or because it's become a scene? I was just wondering if, like Dr. Frankenstein, you feel like you've created a monster.