Avalanche Buttress Rock Climbing
BETA PHOTO: Avalanche Buttress 5. Air Blast 5.12b/c 6. Avalanc...
Located up a quiet side canyon up the north fork road, this crag sports a variety routes. The location is remote for AF standards so it sees little traffic and you may find some loose holds (helmets recommended). Look to this area for shade in the late afternoon and sometimes a canyon breeze.
for an oblique, aerial view of the wall.
- Drive up canyon 2.5 miles from TCM and turn LEFT at the North Fork road.
- Park at a pullout on the right (east) side of the road exactly 1.2 miles up the left fork road located between Martin and Mile Rock picnic areas
- Walk up the road 50 yards to a closed campsite on the left (west) side of the road.
- Find the trail by walking through the closed campsite. The trail skirts the hillside on the right (north) side of the avalanche gully.
- Hike 15 to 20 minutes to the first buttress you come to.
Left to right:
1. Contusion Dweller 5.11a (13 bolts to anchors. Located uphill from #2 & #3. A weird traversing line with a walk-off descent down a steep gully.)
4. Unknown (5 bolts to chains, looks 5.12-ish, short and steep)
5. Air Blast 5.12b/c
6. Avalanche 5.11d
7. Unknown (11 bolts to sport anchors, looks 5.12-ish)
8. Return to Sender 5.12a/b
Climbing Season For the American Fork Canyon area.
Weather station 3.5 miles from here
2 Total Climbing Routes
['4 Stars',0],['3 Stars',0],['2 Stars',0],['1 Star',2],['Bomb',0]
Featured Route For Avalanche Buttress
Sweetness 5.10d 6b+ 21 VII+ 21 E3 5b UT
: Wasatch Range
: ... : Avalanche Buttress
Mildly tricky and with some fun moves thrown in for good measure. Find the key pockets to get to and above the 4th bolt, and then it is cruiser to the anchors. Although a short route its worth doing since youve made the hike. Listed here at its original rating in the Ruckman guide, but seemed easier than the route to the left....[more] Browse More Classics in UT
Latest Regional Forum Messages
BETA PHOTO: Avalanche Buttress Route shown: 1. Contusion Dwel...
BETA PHOTO: Unknown (looks 5.12-ish, short, thin, and steep)