Anyone check out the new "Cedar Rock and satellite crags" guide

By photocodo
From Hendersonville, NC
Feb 15, 2013
The "crack"

I just picked this up today at Diamond Brand and it looks pretty good so far from just flipping through it. All of the topos are hand drawn so Im not sure how accurate they are but my guess is that they are pretty good. Descriptions and other route info seem good, directions seem solid as well. I have never climbed at any of these places but since looking glass and the bald are so popular I think Ill have to start exploring these areas. Just wanted to see if anyone else had picked it up yet and what peoples thoughts were.

Cody

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 16, 2013

The guide does an excellent job...i havent used it yet...but having climbed at the mentioned crags a good bit i can vouch for the accuracy of the topos and descriptions. Mike did his due diligence!

Happy climbing!

Tzlil

By photocodo
From Hendersonville, NC
Feb 17, 2013
The "crack"

Thank you for the response. You have a very unique name, i must assume you are the same Tzlil on the cover of the book. Looking forward to using the book soon. Do you know if there is any decent camping around the base of either stone depot or south side? Would love to camp out there for a few days and explore a bit. Thanks,

Cody

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 17, 2013

That is in fact me...my good friend Kyle Jones of bluewallphotography took that on what turend out to be a rather blustery day...didnt know it was the cover until reardon published it.

South Side of Cedar's or Looking Glass??

There is a campsite below the main face of Cedar's and a few spots you could camp along the way to the north face...its forest land so pretty much wherever you want to set up shop. There is also a Art Loeb shelter you can camp in just down the hill from the main wall.

Looking Glass i tend to camp across from the nose kiosk about 10 minutes back along that logging road. In general camping at the base is not really done because the hike is so short and steepish...however there are some very nice sites along the way early on by the creek.

havent been to stone depot so no clue

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Feb 17, 2013

You're famous T:)

And Cody, there its camping practically in the parking lot of the South Face of Looking Glass too. There are also designated campsites along all off the gravel forest roads in Pisgah too, including Headwaters Rd (the road Looking Glass is on), Davidson Rd (heading towards Cedar from the fish hatchery), Avery Creek Rd (not too far past the ranger station where the horse stables are located), Yellow Branch Rd (the road Pilot Rock is on), and I think Cathey's Creek Rd (heading to Cedar from Rosman...haven't been on that road in years though so can't remember).

By photocodo
From Hendersonville, NC
Feb 18, 2013
The "crack"

Thanks guys. We go to looking glass a fair bit, but i was thinking the south side of cedar. I guess we can camp anywhere. I was just thinking since its a 45min-1hr hike in, it would be fun to camp around the base of the rock for a few days. I work one week then have a week off so it would be a fun getaway.

Cody

By photocodo
From Hendersonville, NC
Feb 24, 2013
The "crack"

So my wife and I went to Stone Depot on Thursday and climbed Trinacious. I found the approach directions to be very accurate and the topos all looked great. I didnt have any issues finding the routes and all the land marks on the rock (roofs, ledges, cracks etc) were pretty spot on. Looking forward to checking out some more of these areas as they seem to be much less crowded than anywhere else in the area (we didnt see anyone the entire day). Just wanted to update this thread with my experience. This seems to be a great book so far... GO BUY IT

Cody