Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
anybody do cross fit for alpine training?

By JBaker
From Belmont, MA
Nov 11, 2011
summit of Mt. Washington, NH

I was wondering if anybody does Cross Fit as a way to train for alpine climbing? I want something that will build strength and endurance without adding to much bulk. Thoughts??

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Nov 11, 2011
Bocan

Absolutely...crossfit is the layman's version of gymjones or mtn. athlete. You can however do strength crossfit, or endurance crossfit so it's good to mix it up. I wouldn't depend on it as a single source workout though. Nothing worse than being a 15 minute monster.

By Matt Marino
From Georgetown, MA
Nov 11, 2011
Haul Bag

I have a friend that does it for alpine to complement his endurance training and because he can't do as much traditional strength training do to a back injury. I don't go to crossfit myself because i don't want to pay the gym fees or listen to them talk about Paleo but I do a lot of the same exercises in my workouts and they have been helping since I introduced them a few months back. Speficially i find they let me maintain a high level of training while working through injuries. If you are looking to just try it out the Crossfit Gym in Woburn is the more reasonably priced one in the area.

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Nov 11, 2011
Colonel Mustard

Matt Marino wrote:
I don't go to crossfit myself because i don't want to pay the gym fees or listen to them talk about Paleo....

I did hear a crossfit guy railing on about that diet, didn't know it was associated with crossfit though. It sounds like a suitably annoying catchphrase to spout off between burpees and farmer's walks or whatever the hell they do, although the diet itself doesn't look like it'd be bad for you.

By cheifitj
From Boulder, Colorado
Nov 13, 2011
Casual Route Pitch 3  <br />Photo by Mark Cushman

Anyone in Boulder into this and have a good recommendation for someplace that isn't $150 bucks a month or similar to that?

I love the concept, but boy its expensive.
-Jon

By Hunter Enochs
From Park City, UT
Nov 22, 2011
holla

Ive been doing it solo for about a month now and Im liking it, good change-up from the mostly endurance work I do in the summer other than climbing. Word of caution though: if you are doing some of the heavy-weight lifting without a coach or lots of experience, be sure to do research on the particulars of the movements else you can F yourself up quick. Take it slow at first.

By Tim Banfield
From Calgary, Alberta
Nov 29, 2011

You can do crossfit on your own. No need to go to a gym if you have your own setup at home. Highly recommend a coach and a gym though. Pushing yourself against others can't really be duplicated in a garage gym. Also if you are new to the movements a coach will ensure you remain injury free and that you learn the movements correctly allowing you to improve faster. www.crossfit.com, you can follow the mainsite for free.

I find the comment about the 15 minute monster to be a bit uneducated about CrossFit. Also the comment about Gym Jones and CrossFit. Mark Twight initially started with CrossFit not the other way around. I would suggest looking more into the programing and learn more about it. CrossFit training for alpine climbing is great.

Here is a list of some workouts you can do without a gym:

dl.dropbox.com/u/2032224/Comprehensive_Bodyweight_Workout.pd>>>

but if you only did these workouts you would miss out on many other aspects of the training.

By Travis Madsen
From Santa Barbara, CA
Nov 29, 2011

The best part about crossfit, in my experience, is the camraderie at the gym. It's like belonging to a high school sports team. I go to hang out with the people and the workouts are secondary. The team atmosphere also makes it easier to be consistent, which improves results.

I've been doing it for about 4 months and I feel like I've gained upper body strength (especially in my pushing muscles). I've gained some lower body strength too -- I'm betting that will pay off during tele skiing season this year. I don't think I've gained any bulk.

The workouts tend to be short and intense. They will make you fitter for sure. However, I don't think the workouts are specific enough to really make you shine at slogging up huge mountains in the winter or cranking harder on the rock. I'd add in some longer cardio days and climbing-specific training in addition, depending on your goals.

By germsauce
Nov 29, 2011
Hippos kill people

In Boulder i do Movement's Circuit classes, since they are included in a membership, they are pretty cross-fit like in nature. Pretty good perk, the classes range from okay to great depending on the instructor (Kieth and Dave are great), plus you can take what you learn and then design your own workouts.

By coppolillo
Nov 29, 2011

if you're going to do CF, then search out a gym that will structure its training a bit--the CF daily workouts are all over the map, one day this, the next day that, and in my experience they're not periodized at all--so find a gym coach who will tailor some of the stuff towards your goals...

don't get on the treadmill, either...too many people just go, week in and week out, never increasing intensity or taking a rest...the endless plateau!

best of luck and good climbing!

RC

By Tim Banfield
From Calgary, Alberta
Nov 30, 2011

Tim

By coppolillo
Nov 30, 2011

yo brudda--i guess my overall point is, if you can find a CF gym with a trainer/coach like Tim (Banfield), you're stoked because he'll help with your structure and training goals...if not, just make sure you're doing workouts that will get you where you need to go and not just showing up and hoping that day's workout will address your goals....hard work, rest, structured training...you'll crush in the alpine, boss! good luck....

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Nov 30, 2011
My navigator keeps me from getting lost

I tried it a couple of times. The gym I went to was, unfortunately, not specific to alpine training. So, you may have a different experience if you go to one that does. That being said...

I definitely saw some quick results in terms of muscle tone and power. I do question the value of CF for endurance training, though.

There were guys in there who were WAY into CF and while I couldn't begin to keep up with them in terms of pure power, they were not in the best cardio shape. If a workout included anything longer than a 200 meter run, the CF addicts often finished the workouts toward the back of the pack.

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Nov 30, 2011
My navigator keeps me from getting lost

Tim Banfield wrote:
To add to my previous post. I have trained using CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance for expeditions, day-to-day life, races, military and numerous other sports. The combination of CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance works perfectly for me when training for alpine climbing. Check out the Crossfit Endurance site too. www.crossfitendurance.com The idea is that you would crossfit 4-6 times a week and hit crossfit endurance 3-6 times a week depending on how many sports/activities you are training for. Think swim, bike, run but make it a run/technical climb/alpine climb combo. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. Tim

Where's the recovery time in that schedule? I'm not sure how you'll progress if you don't allow for proper recovery.

By Tim Banfield
From Calgary, Alberta
Nov 30, 2011

Crag Dweller, there is at least one rest day in that schedule. Normally a rest day and a half. Are you suggesting that elite athletes don't train 5.5-6 days a week?

Suggesting that CrossFitters can't run farther than 200m is not really true. I am not sure what your sample population was like but that is a very gross generalization. You are more than welcome to tag along with us one day and we can train / you can check out a gym where people are very into CrossFit and can run like crazy too.

Also note that I suggested CrossFit Endurance as a supplement to improve the endurance required for alpine climbing, a combination of CrossFit and CrossFit Endurance, not just CrossFit.

It depends on what your goals are. There is some anti-crossfit talk on here and suggestions that we as climbers are better than crossfitters at climbing and endurance activities. Is that not expected? Of course the CrossFit focused athlete will be better at Olympic lifting and power lifting than someone who is using CrossFit to supplement their climbing training. But do you not think that working on your weaknesses will also help you whether that is strength (think squat and deadlift) or finger strength from climbing harder?

The anti paleo talk too, yes it can be overpowering but look at the athletes it is producing, go watch a couple episodes of the CrossFit games on ESPN2 and tell me these guys/girls are not badasses. Highly unlikely that many elite level CrossFit athletes are not paleo. Coming into a CrossFit gym and being put-off by people talking about paleo is like going into a climbing gym and being put-off by people that are talking about sequences on a route or their new climbing shoes.

Tim

By JBaker
From Belmont, MA
Dec 4, 2011
summit of Mt. Washington, NH

Thanks for the awesome responses! I checked it out the other day and it is INTENSE for sure. The gym near me offers a great discount for teachers (one of the few perks from my line of work) and is small enough for some individual attention. Hopefully, coupled with my weekend warrior adventures, it will get me the results I'm looking for in a few months time.

By Camp
From Santa Fe, NM
Dec 8, 2011

I've been doing Mountain Athlete's "Big Mountain" workout for nearly a year and haven't climbed stronger in my life. I'm 38 and can do way more than at 28. It's intense, you can do it at a local gym, and it get's you prepared for anything. check it out online...Rob Schaul owns it and will help you every step of the way.