Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
any tree climbers or arborist on this site
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
May 14, 2012
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT
I know this is mountain project and not "tree" project, but just wondering if anyone's passion for climbing extends to the tops of trees as well?

FLAG
By Stone Nude
May 14, 2012
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
Yes and no. Did it professionally (or unprofessionally, depending on who you ask) for a couple years. I enjoy tree climbing sans gear, but as far as technical tree climbing for its own sake? Nah, it's kind of like rappelling-more of a necessary evil on an occasional basis. Unimpeachable Groping out in Red Rock has a tree climb start, worth checking out.

FLAG
By Richard88
From Sheridan, WY
May 14, 2012
piney creek canyon
I'm a professional arborist and I can assure you it is a lot more involved than rappelling, obviously you were not a " professional". To the original poster, why do you ask? Tree climbing is a lot different than rock climbing in a lot of ways, nothing is a guarantee up high in a tree and you have to constantly be evaluating risk and with that being overly cautious results in very little production, so knowing differences between different types of trees plays a big role, for example an ash limb 4 " in diameter may be safe to walk out on, but that may not be the case with a cottonwood. There are also many factors like rot disease, and insects that can affect the structural integrity of the tree. I don't believe that tree climbing as a hoppy is more dangerous than rock climbing, but as a job with production in mind I'm forced to take more risks than I do rock climbing. It's fun, but it's also a lot of work.

FLAG
By Richard88
From Sheridan, WY
May 14, 2012
piney creek canyon
Also ace tree care out of Australia and patriot tree out of Louisville Colorado have some great videos on YouTube if you want to see some top tree climbers in action, also if you search either ISA orTCIA climbing competitions they'll have some more neat videos

FLAG
By matt davies
May 14, 2012
blueskytreeguy.com

Check out the videos, I think there's one of Killis.

FLAG
By C Travis
From Fort Collins, CO
May 15, 2012
Uploaded for the purposes of a profile pic. Grandm...
Richard88 wrote:
I'm a professional arborist and I can assure you it is a lot more involved than rappelling, obviously you were not a " professional"...


Unless I'm reading the Killis post above wrong, I'm afraid you missed what was actually being said. I'm pretty sure the hypen was intended as an em dash (or spaced en dash) to signify a transition in thought/text. Thus it states that "tree climbing is like rappelling in that both are viewed as necessary evils employed only occasionally as needed."
"Nah, it's kind of like rappelling—more of a necessary evil on an occasional basis."
"Nah, it's kind of like rappelling – more of a necessary evil on an occasional basis."

FLAG
By Stone Nude
May 15, 2012
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
Yeah, um, rich-I don't think anyone else got the "all there is to tree climbing is rappelling" vibe you did. Take your Ritalin, Garth.

To clarify: tree climbing utilizing gear and rappelling are both, in my view, mild pains in the ass that are part and parcel of a life lived in the vertical. Neither are the safest or most pleasant uses I've found for my time, but they both fit into the big picture from time to time.

In regards to the OP, again, I did it for money for 2 years. I've shot bags with string lines into trees 100+feet tall, jugged ropes I *hoped* were set over solid branches, used up to a four-footer Husky to hack off huge limbs, ridden a crane wrecking ball into a tree to secure it for hauling up a steep hill after felling, etc. I also saw monster spiders you don't ever want to know about inside rotten trunks. When you're in a tree with a chainsaw five days a week for two years, I'd say you've earned the right to an opinion.

Arbor culture to me is weird like rappel culture is. But all the arbor dorks back east thought my weekends at Seneca and Linville were total batshit crazy nonsense, so it's tit for tat.

Whatever turns you on.

FLAG
By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
May 15, 2012
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT
Richard88 wrote:
I'm a professional arborist and I can assure you it is a lot more involved than rappelling, obviously you were not a " professional". To the original poster, why do you ask? Tree climbing is a lot different than rock climbing in a lot of ways, nothing is a guarantee up high in a tree and you have to constantly be evaluating risk and with that being overly cautious results in very little production, so knowing differences between different types of trees plays a big role, for example an ash limb 4 " in diameter may be safe to walk out on, but that may not be the case with a cottonwood. There are also many factors like rot disease, and insects that can affect the structural integrity of the tree. I don't believe that tree climbing as a hoppy is more dangerous than rock climbing, but as a job with production in mind I'm forced to take more risks than I do rock climbing. It's fun, but it's also a lot of work.
I've been climbing trees for 11 years and own a tree service and I still love doing it. I just got into rock/ice climbing a year ago and im enjoying it as well. I agree general tree climbing has less risk than rock climbing but when rigging and a chainsaw are added into the mix I'd say it equals out some. Good to meet some fellow tree climbers

FLAG
 
By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
May 15, 2012
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT
Richard88 wrote:
Also ace tree care out of Australia and patriot tree out of Louisville Colorado have some great videos on YouTube if you want to see some top tree climbers in action, also if you search either ISA orTCIA climbing competitions they'll have some more neat videos
Ace tree vids rock! I have some of my own on youtube under stihlhead82, but nothing as cool as Ace's.

FLAG
By Richard88
From Sheridan, WY
May 15, 2012
piney creek canyon
Hahaha, sensitive much? I just re-read my post and you guys act like I attacked someone all I said is that if that's as simple as you break it down to be than you obviously haven't spent much time in trees (which I believe you said yourself and happens to be the truth) so where did I step out of line?

FLAG
By rogerbenton
May 15, 2012
Whoever this guy is, he's just plain irresponsible...
i love to climb trees for the hell of it and have been getting more into cutting/felling in the past year or so.

My company harvests tree taken down in and around the nyc area and we mill and dry the lumber for fine furniture/cabinet making.

so basically all my saws are way to big to go up a tree, think ported 395xp w/42" b/c.

but i can definitely see the joy of being "out on a limb" with a little t200.

there's a climb somewhere in the gunks with a good piton in a tree...

FLAG
By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
May 15, 2012
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT
rogerbenton wrote:
i love to climb trees for the hell of it and have been getting more into cutting/felling in the past year or so. My company harvests tree taken down in and around the nyc area and we mill and dry the lumber for fine furniture/cabinet making. so basically all my saws are way to big to go up a tree, think ported 395xp w/42" b/c. but i can definitely see the joy of being "out on a limb" with a little t200. there's a climb somewhere in the gunks with a good piton in a tree...

Yeah I have a 394xp with a 36" and a Stihl 084 with a 48", I love those saws. Always had stihls for top handles but recently bought a dolmar 3410 and what a great saw for the money.

FLAG
By rogerbenton
May 17, 2012
Whoever this guy is, he's just plain irresponsible...
stihlhead82 wrote:
Yeah I have a 394xp with a 36" and a Stihl 084 with a 48", I love those saws. Always had stihls for top handles but recently bought a dolmar 3410 and what a great saw for the money.



i have an older 394xp in a box all apart, awaiting a rebuild i probably won't get to any time soon. but they are awesome saws. i almost went the 084 route for milling saws, they are easy to tune up a bit and have great power.

we just slabbed up some elm today and the 395 was pulling 36" wide ripping cuts with no problem so it's got good power too!

FLAG
By matt davies
May 18, 2012
rogerbenton wrote:
i have an older 394xp in a box all apart, awaiting a rebuild i probably won't get to any time soon. but they are awesome saws. i almost went the 084 route for milling saws, they are easy to tune up a bit and have great power. we just slabbed up some elm today and the 395 was pulling 36" wide ripping cuts with no problem so it's got good power too!

Alaska mill? I have an 088, never heard of the 084. Is that a stihl? I've never milled any of the wood I take down, but I used to have a guy (that I never met, strangely enough) that would take big stuff from my yard for his own proj's. I guess he moved on to greener pastures, he hasn't been by in like 18 months. What is "home mill" really good for, and who is interested in it? Just curious.
Edit: reading the previous posts, it seems the 084 is a sthil. Is that a special milling saw? I thought their line went from the 066 (660 now) to the 088 (880 now).

FLAG
By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
May 18, 2012
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT
matt davies wrote:
Alaska mill? I have an 088, never heard of the 084. Is that a stihl? I've never milled any of the wood I take down, but I used to have a guy (that I never met, strangely enough) that would take big stuff from my yard for his own proj's. I guess he moved on to greener pastures, he hasn't been by in like 18 months. What is "home mill" really good for, and who is interested in it? Just curious. Edit: reading the previous posts, it seems the 084 is a sthil. Is that a special milling saw? I thought their line went from the 066 (660 now) to the 088 (880 now).

The 084 is a Stihl, it was the precurser to the 088/880. Has about the same displacement as a 088 but doesnt have the high rpm torque like the 088s, lots of lugging torque though.

FLAG
By Hank Caylor
Administrator
From Golden, CO
May 18, 2012
Pure bliss..
Did it for a year when I was younger and for a couple more recently. You do find lots of wierd shit inside of felled trees. These guys made it to the wildlife rehab.
--- Invalid image id: 107612658 ---

FLAG
 
By jumping fish
May 18, 2012
tree climbing Love it.
Put down the squirl Hank!

To the orignal poster;
I climb trees. My favorite being a 100' tall oak tree.
Always tried to get someone to ascend with me and do an open air rappel. Nobody ever does though. I like the top of the trees it's like a dreamscape.

FLAG
By Jeff Chrisler
From Boulder, CO
May 18, 2012
stihlhead82 wrote:
The 084 is a Stihl, it was the precurser to the 088/880. Has about the same displacement as a 088 but doesnt have the high rpm torque like the 088s, lots of lugging torque though.


Ok, ok boys. This is just getting too technical for us regular rock climber folk. Go chop down something...

FLAG
By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
May 18, 2012
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT
jumping fish wrote:
Put down the squirl Hank! To the orignal poster; I climb trees. My favorite being a 100' tall oak tree. Always tried to get someone to ascend with me and do an open air rappel. Nobody ever does though. I like the top of the trees it's like a dreamscape.
never aid climbed but always wondered if the gear used for ascending trees was sort of the same, pantin, ascenders, ropewalkers, blakes hitch on a split tail, etc?

FLAG
By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
May 18, 2012
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT
Hank Caylor wrote:
Did it for a year when I was younger and for a couple more recently. You do find lots of wierd shit inside of felled trees. These guys made it to the wildlife rehab.

Cool pic! hey I read your bull riding post, wondering if you're looking for any gear?

FLAG
By jumping fish
May 18, 2012
tree climbing Love it.
Lots of the gear is the same. Mostly static ropes for tree climbing.
Ascenders are identical. Tree climbing rope work is more techy. Lots of lower outs or redirections. Tyroleans too. Tons of different kinds of rope bags. Stainless carabiners, high quality pully systems, super comfy seat harnesses(not intended for catching leadclimbing falls!), zip lines, flip lines, rope grabs, swivels, rigging plates, rappel rings, all the cool stuff. Fun stuff. Love it.

FLAG
By T_jones
From Salt Lake
May 18, 2012
Fossil Family 12a, Rifle
Worked as a tree climber for some sketchy guy in salt lake for a few weeks. He knew I was a rock climber and put me on projects with almost no training. I survived, but it was sketchy. Hanging from small limbs, toting a big chainsaw...being basically clueless about being an arborist in general...

That being said it was also super fun. But I quit a few weeks into it because I wasn't crazy about it. I'll stick to rock

FLAG
By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
May 18, 2012
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT
jumping fish wrote:
Lots of the gear is the same. Mostly static ropes for tree climbing. Ascenders are identical. Tree climbing rope work is more techy. Lots of lower outs or redirections. Tyroleans too. Tons of different kinds of rope bags. Stainless carabiners, high quality pully systems, super comfy seat harnesses(not intended for catching leadclimbing falls!), zip lines, flip lines, rope grabs, swivels, rigging plates, rappel rings, all the cool stuff. Fun stuff. Love it.

Amen! I could spend a fortune at Sherrill tree.

FLAG
By Stone Nude
May 19, 2012
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
Richard88 wrote:
Hahaha, sensitive much? I just re-read my post and you guys act like I attacked someone all I said is that if that's as simple as you break it down to be than you obviously haven't spent much time in trees (which I believe you said yourself and happens to be the truth) so where did I step out of line?


Rich, I sympathize, as I know many others who have reading comprehension problems. What part of 2 years of full-time work as an arborist breaks down to not spending much time in trees?

If you can explain this using logic, I will nominate you for a Unicorn Award.

FLAG
 
By jumping fish
May 22, 2012
tree climbing Love it.
Killis, why are you always ruining other peoples threads?

Should you make your own topic with something interesting worth reading. I hope so.

FLAG
By jkd159
May 28, 2012
Just got back from two weeks climbing Giant Sequoias in California and saw this thread, so I had to post. Mostly I climb rocks (and ice), but I do occasionally climb trees. I'm not an arborist and have never brought a saw into a tree or used gaffs. But I can tie a blake's hitch and climb DRT or SRT.

Tree climbing will probably appeal to rock climbers who enjoy aid climbing. I rarely "free climb" a tree and am almost always aiding branch to branch. There is definitely crossover in techniques and skills between tree and rock, but they are different disciplines.

My buddy Dave has been blogging from Sequoia/King's Canyon and you can get a bit of a feel for tree climbing by checking it out: tenacityinpursuit.com/may12.ph...

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.