along the lines of the what do you do topic. Who here really enjoys their job?
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By mike526
From schaumburg

By Unassigned User
Jul 30, 2012

I hate my job!!! wah wah wah!!! is this like a sympathy thread?

By jarthur
From Westminster, CO
My dogs got ups yo!

I love my job, but I just started so ask me again in 6 months.

By mike526
From schaumburg
Jul 30, 2012

No not a sympathy thread at all was just curious as to how many people actually enjoy the work they do thats all.

By MattG.

mike526 wrote:
I have a great paying Job in the HVAC field with my families biz and am happy to have a job. On the other hand i can't stand the work but don't know what else to do. Have a degree in audio and acoustics and love the outdoors, want to change paces but not even sure where to look. So who here really enjoys what they do? i feel like hell if 3/4 oof my life is spent working might as well try to enjoy what i do.

Hey Mike,

If you're in the position to change, do it! I did!

By T.C.
From Whittier, NC
Jul 30, 2012

I'm a critical care nurse, love the job, except the amount of shit I have to deal with. Literally.
When you are on a vent, propofol, pressors, and a tube feed, shit just pours out of your ass into the bed and all over the place. A rectal tube only works till you wake up and pull it out, then you have a patient making "snow angles" with shit instead of snow.

This last weekend was particularly bad, possible new world record for shit on both of my patients.

Other than the shit, I love it. Really challenging, lots of critical thinking, working with the cream not the chaff.

TC

By Unassigned User
Jul 30, 2012

Ok to be nice this time. I love my job (customer service/teller at a bank) GREAT hours, not so good pay. Don't like the people I have to work with but that is ok. I get to climb a lot so I will keep it. For reference I turned down a job as a sales person making 1.5K more a month than I do now. Reason was because it would cut into my climbing schedule.

By Josh Schutz
From Estes Park and Telluride, Colo
Morning Glory Arch

Rafting company in the summer, ski resort in the winter. 2 months of vacation every year. I've been doing it for 6 years now. I couldn't ask for a better lifestyle!

By Cor
black nasty

another name for work is... NECESSARY EVIL !!!

By J. Broussard
From CordryCorner
Young Good Free Face, 11b

The shittier your job, the more awesome your time out on the rocks, away from said job.

Life is all about contrast.

By Mike
From Phoenix
Jul 30, 2012
Doing the jump-across off The Mace.  I never get tired of this climb.  Photo by Wednesday Hugus.

mike526 wrote:
...So who here really enjoys what they do? i feel like hell if 3/4 oof my life is spent working might as well try to enjoy what i do.

I do! Now if I only got a decent annual salary.

By Eric Coffman
mountainlion

Think of it this way Mike it is only a means to an end. No matter how much most people like thier job they do something else in their free time. But it sounds as if your miserable (maybe not). Also their are pros and cons to every job. I had a great business working on the beach getting pretty women in shape in the mornings and evenings in between I did functional fitness/injury rehabilitation for the disabled/elderly. Believe me it was a great gig, I had plenty of time to do the stuff I wanted, worked at the beach and with interesting people but also had to deal with appointment cancelations and sometimes not getting paid (sometimes clients would get in shape but not pay in advance and then just stop coming--stiffing me)so no job is perfect. That said you cant be miserable so find time to do what makes you happy more often.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Own a biz maintaining trophy homes and ranches. Gives me lots of time off. Starting a micro distillery for a change of pace. I love my job.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Dreamweaver

I love my job, Science kicks ass!

I used to hate my job (waiting tables/landscaping sucks balls) and then I figured out what I enjoyed doing that would make a decent salary and pursued it.

I may be relegated to weekend warrior status but work can be just as fulfilling for me as just about anything else.

By s.price
From PS,CO
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Science most certainly kicks ass.
Mike you need to find something that feeds the soul. Luck on ya.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH

Hmmm?
Hmmm?

By Eric Coffman
mountainlion

++++1Blanchard

By ErikaNW
Rapping off the Matron October, 2010

I love my job - professor in a PT program, get to teach and mentor students and also have a research program. Administrative duties suck way too much time and are not the funnest, but any day I get to interact with students or spend time in the lab is a good day. The downside is I sit in front of a computer most of the time, and as we all know.... sitting kills you slowly. I work 60-70 hour weeks year round - which I could (would) not do if I didn't love it.

Before I decided to go into academia I worked as a PT just enough to support my bike racing habit - training/traveling to races was pretty much my full time 'job'. When I quit racing and went full time in the clinic, I still had time and energy to work out enough to be really fit. The beauty of most health care positions is that you can usually create enough flexibility to pursue your athletic passions, and you still have something there for the day when/if you decide to hang it up (or are forced to by injury or whatever).

So now I have a very rewarding and amazing career, but I hate that I am not as fit as I want to be. Can't have it all I guess.....

By Phil Lauffen
From The Bubble
RMNP skiing. Photo by Nodin de Saillan

My job is great. I'm a manufacturing engineer at an aerospace company and honestly I can't imagine doing anything else. Every day is different, and a challenge.

By Ali Jaffri
From Westminster, CO
Jul 31, 2012
At the village in Hunza Valley, Karakoram, Pakistan

I love my job. Started a geological consulting firm and my clients are in Norway (gorgeous fjords) and Pakistan (BIG BIG mountains), and the office is in beautiful Colorado. The work is fun, exciting and on field trips Ive been to Mexico, Ireland, Scotland, Spain and South Africa. If you have kids and they enjoy being outdoors Id highly encourage them to pursue geology. Starting salaries for someone with a masters degree is $90,000/year (the trick is that you HAVE to get a masters, a bachelors degree in geology is worthless).

Anyways here's my website:

www.stratigraphyhelp.com

If you have any friends in the oil and gas business Id always appreciate a referral. Here are some cool "rocks" from my trip this summer.

Unclimbed face of Bojoahgur Dunasir (24, 239 feet), this is the last remaining unclimbed peak in the Ultar Group in the Karakoram.

By Jeff Thomas
Jul 31, 2012

s.price wrote:

Are you hiring? Seriously. Are you hiring?

By s.price
From PS,CO
Jul 31, 2012
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Jeff T, Not hiring for either biz right now. Starting production at the distillery is planned for this fall. Maybe next year I will be looking for more people. Hope so.

By Merlin
From Grand Junction
Jul 31, 2012

Love my job, long hours but no stress, couldn't be happier.

By JChepes
From Chocorua, NH
Jul 31, 2012

Been a Massachusetts certified arborist for over a decade. Pruning and climbing trees. Really fun and exciting job but can be demanding. Only downside is lack of rest time. Work 40 hrs a week and climb rock usually saturday and sunday. My tendons hate me!

By beerdrinker
Jul 31, 2012
err day i'm slothin'

^^ I used to trim trees as well. Very intriguing work but kinda dangerous. I fully concur with the lack of rest time sentiment. Hard to climb at your full potential after climbing up into trees all week, trimming and pruning. Physical work, and scary at times. Cottonwoods and powerlines? No thanks.

Now I just sling drinks like a boss, make decent money and have five days off a week. Who wants a mojito?

By bergbryce
From South Lake Tahoe, CA
Aug 1, 2012

I'm in the process of switching careers. Was a GIS guy for 10+ years and it treated me really well but decided it wasn't going to be a good choice in the long run. I am working on my pre-reqs for nursing school and just started my first real medical job in the ER and it's absolutely radical. The 12 hour shifts fly by, my co-workers rock and even if you worked in this position for 20 years, you'd still be seeing and experiencing new stuff.
I got interested in healthcare/nursing by volunteering with National Ski Patrol for six seasons. I then completed an EMT basic course last winter. If you are interested in learning a bit about healthcare but don't know what to do, do an EMT Basic course. It gives you a taste without a huge commitment. You can also volunteer or shadow at some hospitals. Healthcare isn't for everyone, but I'm digging it thus far.

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>