AAC and Gunks Camping
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By Nick P.
Mar 16, 2014

So as far as I know the new AAC campground is scheduled to open this summer (2014). I thought I had read that once open, the Mohonk Preserve would be closing Camp Slime. Is this correct? I'm just curious, because as a member of the preserve, Camp Slime is my go-to sight right now. I was also wondering if preserve members would get a discount at the AAC grounds. Not that it was great, but being able to (legally) camp at camp Slime was definitely an incentive to become a preserve member and now that incentive will no longer be there. Thanks in advance for any responses.

By Happiegrrrl
From Gunks
Mar 17, 2014

AAC members will have a discounted rate at the campground. If I were intending to use that campground regularly,I would definitely look into the AAC membership as a way to offset. Of course there are other benefits to being an AAC member too.

I haven't heard any expected opening dates recently, but driving by the other day,I did see that they have framed and put the roof on the manager's house at the campground. It has been worked on consistently over the winter months. I couldn't estimate an expected ready date by looking at the area, but it seems to me there is still quite a bit of work to be done.

As for Preserve membership, a climber who uses the preserve more than five times in a year begins seeing a cost reduction over day passes. For most of us who live in the region, w easily go more than five times in a year.

By rocknice2
From Montreal, Quebec
Mar 17, 2014
BD ice tool fusion2

Do you know if the discount applies for Canadian Alpine club members?
Can't wait for the grounds to open.

By Happiegrrrl
From Gunks
Mar 18, 2014

You would need to check to see if the Canadian Alpine Club has some association with the American alpine Club which is involved with the campground. If the two have a reciprocal arrangement, it is possible(discount), but I do not know if this is the case, and do not know the answer to your question.

By Eric Engberg
Mar 18, 2014

Happiegrrrl wrote:

Presumably it will be the same as the Climbers' Ranch or the Seneca campground

By Happiegrrrl
From Gunks
Mar 18, 2014

Do you mean the new River Gorge(and not Seneca)? I don't believe the AAC has a c/g at Seneca.

I do see mention of the Canadian Alpine Club in AAC's Lodging - International page so it may be that Canadian members will get discount. I would suggest contacting either AAC or CAC to get a definitive answer.

By rocknice2
From Montreal, Quebec
Mar 19, 2014
BD ice tool fusion2

I checked with AAC and they don't accept the Alpine Club of Canada for campground discounts.

By Happiegrrrl
From Gunks
Mar 19, 2014

That's too bad.

The drive-in campsites allow for two cars, so with some planning or going round and asking to share, people can share and save money that way.

There are also walk-in campsites which will cost a bit less, if I recall right(I know there are walk-ins - but can't confirm seeing info on price variation).

Spoke with someone at the preserve yesterday, who said it looks like September open. This will depend on our weather. Winter slowed the schedule,as it was a harsher one that expected, and where - oh where! - is spring?

Drove by yesterday and....still a major upheaval. The manager house has windows in, but I didn't stop to look at other areas, and I can't drive and look at the same time. Next time I head that way, I will try to bring a camera and stop/shoot some pics from the road.

By Nick P.
Mar 19, 2014

Thank you Happiegrrrl for the info.

By Rob Davis
From Brooklyn, NY
Mar 23, 2014

Are they for sure closing slime? I love not having to hitch hike from the campground to the climbing.

By Nick P.
Mar 23, 2014

Rob, that was the main piece of info I was interested in confirming. I forget where I initially ran into that info. It definitely won't be as convenient but I believe there will be a connector trail from the AAC grounds to the Stairmaster approach at the Nature Center.

By lucander
From Stone Ridge, NY
Mar 23, 2014
Lucander off the GT Ledge on p. 2 of Keep on Struttin.

I used to live at a house where the new connector trail comes from - and I never drove to the cliff. It was an uphill walk, for sure, but the footing was good. There was something about walking to the crag that just felt...right. Not jostling for parking and everything gave a totally different vibe to the day, made even the busiest weekends not seem so hectic.

By Kurtz
Mar 24, 2014
Mr. P. Marten

Here's a link to the AAC page about the new campground: https://www.americanalpineclub.org/p/gunks-campground

By JSH
Mar 24, 2014
JSH @ home <br /> <br />photo courtesy of Gabe Ostriker

A trail from the campground would have to cross 299. Hm. I suppose still safer than all the cars parked along the road for the MUA ...

By lucander
From Stone Ridge, NY
Mar 24, 2014
Lucander off the GT Ledge on p. 2 of Keep on Struttin.

I would hope that anyone who can place opposed nuts and remove tricams could figure out how to safely cross a street =)

By JSH
Mar 24, 2014
JSH @ home <br /> <br />photo courtesy of Gabe Ostriker

I'm thinking in terms of potential conflicts and complaints, and inattentive drivers.

By Happiegrrrl
From Gunks
Mar 24, 2014

Undoubtedly there will be people who complain about pedestrians walking alongside/crossing the road. Heaven forbid they have to actually pay attention while they drive....

What I am wondering is - what will people eventually call this new campground? The name is so cumbersome: The Samuel F. Pryor III Shawangunk Gateway Campground.

By Luc
From Montreal
Mar 25, 2014
The El

JSH wrote:

Have you seen the amount of deer hit near there? Driver's should be aware regardless of pedestrians.

By SethG
Mar 25, 2014

"Camp Ka-Ching?"

By Happiegrrrl
From Gunks
Mar 25, 2014

Seth, that camp isn't likely to be the cash cow some think. Prices are very reasonably when compared to similar options in the region, with Creekview being the most similar in price, but has a drive of about 20 miles to cliffs.

The cost of construction and associated maintenance for the place also need to be offset before any income is realized.

By SethG
Mar 25, 2014

Just fooling around, Terrie. I have no beef with the campground or with charging people to stay there.

... but I hope my suggested name catches on!

By rocknice2
From Montreal, Quebec
Mar 25, 2014
BD ice tool fusion2

Luc wrote:
Have you seen the amount of deer hit near there?

Venison for everyone, well except the vegans.

By waltereo
Mar 26, 2014

Hi,

What is the status of the new campground ? Is it open ?

Thanks

By MojoMonkey
Mar 26, 2014

waltereo wrote:
Hi, What is the status of the new campground ? Is it open ? Thanks

You couldn't be bothered to read the info already in this thread?

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Mar 27, 2014
Rumney

waltereo wrote:
Hi, What is the status of the new campground ? Is it open ? Thanks

Yes, it's opened. Have a nice stay!

By waltereo
Mar 27, 2014

MojoMonkey wrote:
You couldn't be bothered to read the info already in this thread?

Sorry, I should have said , "Is there an official opening date" instead of "is it open"
My spirit wasn't clear in my mind .

And yes I read the thread, and I didn't see any official opening date , that 's why I asked.

Sorry for the confusion.