9000 Venture Series Rock Climbing
The 9000 Venture Series is a description for mountaineering the 14 USGS 7 1/2 min topo map labeled high points in the Laramie Range that are above 9000 feet elevation. While the elevation is considerably less than a Colorado 14, the task of getting to the summit of these is often more difficult because only 2 of the 9000's have trails to the summit. Without existing summit trails the hiker/climber will have to choose his path and attaining the final high point may necessitate some easy climbing. A hiker's GPS that saves waypoints and makes a crum trail is quite useful but these hikes are on your time and energy.
The following list has these 14 topo map labeled points in descending elevation order from Laramie Peak to Leg. A map survey was done for each of the 8 sections of land that surround each of the 9000 series sections for singular high points greater than 9000 feet. The usefulness of these is for hikers that like more navigation and perhaps a loop hike rather than an out and back via the same "path". These optional listed points are described below their respective labeled-numbered points. These optional points can be found on the the 71/2 min series USGS Topos Maps.
Cell phones do not work on all of these summits yet alone in the valleys and canyons below them. None of the canyons in the Laramie Range are steep walled glacial carved canyons and so navigation with a hikers GPS works very well.
The peaks that were already posted are not posted on this page but the links to them are posted. My trips to these places were for locating more rock climbing walls and pinnacles. And my posts here are for disseminating some of these findings i.e. to save rock climbing explorers some time. There are other "peak bagging sites" that may be of some use. See further: peakbagger.com
1. Laramie Peak [Trail exists] 10272 BM sec 35 mountainproject.com/v/laramie-...
9727 Whacky Ridge sec 26 See mountainproject.com/v/whacky-r...
9400 sec 2
9247 sec 3
9228 sec 27
X9051 sec 34
sec 25 sec 36 sec 1 have pts >9000 but considered side slope
2. Warbonnet Peak [Private Road ends near summit] 9414 BM sec 35
9223X WB vicinity
9310 sec 34
9150 also labeled 9140 sec 2
3. Buffalo Peak 9387X sec 5
9212 sec 6
X9060 sec 6
4. Cherry Mountain 9322 sec 1
9200 sec 2
X9100 sec 1
X9216 sec 11
X9192 sec 11
9162 sec 10
9009 @ Cross of sec 10,11,15,14 Consider as a unique high point?
5. Squaw Mountain 9313 BM sec 9
9200 sec 8
6. Chimney Ridge 9254 sec 3
9310 sec 34
9000+ sec 4
7. Twin Peaks [Trail exists] 9232 sec 17
X9225 sec 20
9133 sec 18
9067 sec 19
9145 sec 18 within TP vicinity
Unlabeled 9210 sec 29 west of Campbell Creek Campground
with 9080 in sec 30
8. Olins Lode (Private entry tree overgrown road exists) 9182 sec 5
9. Eagle Peak 9167 BM sec 31 see mountainproject.com/v/eagle-mo...
10. Buck Peak 9061 BM sec 25
11. Gunnysack 9061 BM sec 20
12. Leg (The Headquarters National Recreational Trail passes within three hundred feet of this summit) 9055 BM on sec line 30x31 is the only >9000 feet in the south Laramie Range. Some unlabeled points >9000 are elsewhere in sec 30 & sec 31.
13. Camelback Mountain(A private entry road nears the saddle between the humps) 9041 BM on line sec 17 x 20
9002 sec 18. This point is the other "hump" of the Camelback Mountain.
14. Windy Peak 9041 sec 23 see mountainproject.com/v/windy-pe...
The useful gravel roads that take you to the North Laramie Range are at or near Douglas, Medicine Bow, Rock River and Wheatland. The GPS location to represent this post is at Buffalo Peak.
Climbing Season For the All Locations area.
Weather station 11.0 miles from here
1 Total Climbing Routes
['4 Stars',0],['3 Stars',0],['2 Stars',1],['1 Star',0],['Bomb',0]
Featured Route For 9000 Venture Series
Latest Regional Forum Messages