Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
5yr Old Clips First Bolts on Lead - Post your kids' climbing pics
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Daryl Allan
From Sierra Vista, AZ
Dec 30, 2010
Me and my Fetish I guess.. ;)
Please excuse the proud father gloating over his over-achieving 5yr old.

Well, she had her picture printed in Climbing magazine about a year ago climbing some holds screwed to a 4x6 post on the back porch. Over the last year she has since done several top ropes and a couple weeks ago, she asked to take the sharp end. It went something like "Daddy, i want to climb with the rope at the bottom and use those shiny things like you and Angel..". I knew precisely what she meant and happily obliged immediately gathering all the pads, cushions, etc i could find to pile up below the woody (recently installed on the back porch). I added a couple hangers and some hasty "gym" draws, tied her in and sent her up.

The pads were high enough (lol) that she was able to stand up and two-handed clip the first draw. She would sit back down, then climb up to the 2nd bolt where the troubles began.. ah, how to clip on an overhung wall with two hands? Enter the frustrations associated with fishing a climbing rope into a carabiner while it swings wildly away from your best intentions, using a hand a fraction of the size the equipment was designed for, all while your other hand greasing off the holds again and again .. and again.

After about a good fifteen to twenty minute struggle.. success! We captured the moment among hundreds of others (God bless the digital camera) in a three - part sequence. What was most amazing about it all was that she immediately said "clipped" and continued up to the next bolt, attempted to clip, blew it and took her first full-on lead fall! The neighbors were probably trying to figure out what channel the Superbowl was playing on and why it was so early.

First Lead 1
First Lead 1

First Lead 2
First Lead 2

First Lead 3
First Lead 3


Anyone else have any kids climbing photos and/or stories to share?

FLAG
By J Antin
From Denver, CO
Dec 30, 2010
First morning at Indian Creek!!!
Daryl Allan wrote:
Please excuse the proud father gloating over his over-achieving 5yr old. Well, she had her picture printed in Climbing magazine about a year ago climbing some holds screwed to a 4x6 post on the back porch. Over the last year she has since done several top ropes and a couple weeks ago, she asked to take the sharp end. It went something like "Daddy, i want to climb with the rope at the bottom and use those shiny things like you and Angel..". I knew precisely what she meant and happily obliged immediately gathering all the pads, cushions, etc i could find to pile up below the woody (recently installed on the back porch). I added a couple hangers and some hasty "gym" draws, tied her in and sent her up. The pads were high enough (lol) that she was able to stand up and two-handed clip the first draw. She would sit back down, then climb up to the 2nd bolt where the troubles began.. ah, how to clip on an overhung wall with two hands? Enter the frustrations associated with fishing a climbing rope into a carabiner while it swings wildly away from your best intentions, using a hand a fraction of the size the equipment was designed for, all while your other hand greasing off the holds again and again .. and again. After about a good fifteen to twenty minute struggle.. success! We captured the moment among hundreds of others (God bless the digital camera) in a three - part sequence. What was most amazing about it all was that she immediately said "clipped" and continued up to the next bolt, attempted to clip, blew it and took her first full-on lead fall! The neighbors were probably trying to figure out what channel the Superbowl was playing on and why it was so early. Anyone else have any kids climbing photos and/or stories to share?


In her approach shoes no less!

FLAG
By KDog
Dec 30, 2010
Congrats!! That is adorable. She'll become a badass climber I'm sure, starting that young! :)

FLAG
By Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Dec 30, 2010
Splitter Jams on the Israel/Palestine Security Wall.
Very cool, Daryl! Except I'm a little traumatized by your beautiful young lady's appearance, since I thought just yesterday she looked like this:

FLAG
By wankel7
From Indiana
Dec 30, 2010
Sweet!

FLAG
By Eric Krantz
From Black Hills
Dec 30, 2010
smoke break, pitch 5 or 6 (or 7??) of Dark Shadows
You've just won the coveted 2010 MP Feel Good Post of the Year award. With one day to spare, no less. Good job.

FLAG
By Tim Powers
From Indiana
Dec 30, 2010
The FA of Return of Manimal.
My son bouldering on our woodie.
My son bouldering at home.
My son bouldering at home.

FLAG
By Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Dec 30, 2010
oh
Randomly I found this picture


FLAG
 
By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Dec 30, 2010
Stabby
Chloe (9) on Lichen the Old Country.
Chloe (9) on Lichen the Old Country.

Chloe on Lichen the Old Country (.10C/D), age 9

FLAG
By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Dec 30, 2010
Stabby
Shawn Mitchell wrote:
Very cool, Daryl! Except I'm a little traumatized by your beautiful young lady's appearance, since I thought just yesterday she looked like this:

I know that lots of MP'ers have wrestling backgrounds. Shawn's son is top 20 NCAA Div. 1 at 190 lbs., which is by multitudes harder than merely being a State Champion in HS, which is in and of itself a massive achievement. Not climbing related, but this is about like having your kid climb .14C

FLAG
By Kyle Roseborrough
Dec 30, 2010
Ok, I'll throw one in the mix. My 3 year old bouldering on our home wall.

Crushing (or at least trying) on our home wall.
Crushing (or at least trying) on our home wall.

FLAG
By Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Dec 30, 2010
Splitter Jams on the Israel/Palestine Security Wall.
Mike Lane wrote:
I know that lots of MP'ers have wrestling backgrounds. Shawn's son is top 20 NCAA Div. 1 at 190 lbs., which is by multitudes harder than merely being a State Champion in HS, which is in and of itself a massive achievement. Not climbing related, but this is about like having your kid climb .14C


Thanks Mike! Better post a climbing pic first. Here are 20 yr old Danny and older sister Natalie near the top of Freeway on the Second Flatiron, the day before Christmas.

Danny and Natalie near the top of Freeway on the Second Flatiron
Danny and Natalie near the top of Freeway on the Second Flatiron


And here's Danny at last year's NCAA Championships as a rare freshman. This year he's fighting some injuries but ranked 16th in the country at 197. He wants to wrestle Dad, but I'm not stupid.


FLAG
By Monomaniac
Administrator
From Morrison, CO
Dec 30, 2010
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.
Shawn Mitchell wrote:
here's Danny at last year's NCAA Championships as a rare freshman. This year he's fighting some injuries but ranked 16th in the country at 197. He wants to wrestle Dad, but I'm not stupid.


That's awesome Shawn!

FLAG
By Chris Horton
From Tucson AZ
Dec 30, 2010
Awesomeness!
Daryl, those bolts look way better than the ones you were clipping on Sunday. (We were a couple routes up from you). Nice pics!

FLAG
By Calirado
Jan 1, 2011
Great kid pics! Keep 'em coming!

FLAG
By Woodchuck ATC
Jan 1, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
There is/was a lengthy post here at MP at least a year ago with tons of kids climbing shots. Wonder where it is now....lots of greats ones there if you can reference it.

FLAG
 
By Noah8000
From Vail, CO
Jan 1, 2011
The transfer to ice...in this case a horizontal, weird roof since the curtain broke off. Photo by Cody Olsen.
Well I'm starting to enter the adult years now. Currently 18 and many still look at me as a kid. (Maybe I still am considering all my partners are quite a bit older then me) I didn't clip bolts at an age of 9 or younger....very impressive! One of my accomplishments this last summer was climbing the Diamond.

On the Casual Route of the Diamond
On the Casual Route of the Diamond

FLAG
By M Lindfors
From Highlands Ranch
Jan 2, 2011
Mr. Squirrel Places A Nut 5.11c <br />Ben at age 12
Mr. Squirrel Places A Nut 5.11c
Ben at age 12

One of my favorite photos. His hardest send (no falls on lead) is 12c. My hardest climb is the approach to Primo Wall or Highlander at Clear Creek, CO

FLAG
By M Lindfors
From Highlands Ranch
Jan 2, 2011
A 5.10 at Conspiracy Crag in Clear Creek, CO
A 5.10 at Conspiracy Crag in Clear Creek, CO

My daughter also climbs Kayleigh at age 14.

FLAG
By Daryl Allan
From Sierra Vista, AZ
Jan 2, 2011
Me and my Fetish I guess.. ;)
Wow!! These are all incredible. I don't even know where to start! Thanks for the flashback Shawn.. yeah it's so hard to believe. I've been busy just trying to absorb every amazing minute of her growing up. :)

Keep those awesome pictures coming. You're right Woodchuck.. before i started this one i went back several pages of a forum post search for "kids climbing" and couldn't seem to find it. It's in there somewhere though..

FLAG
By Garrett Gladden
From Bend, Oregon
Jan 2, 2011
Blue Light Special
Carter, age four, doing the Meadowcamp Traverse here in Bend, Oregon.


Carter - Bouldering in Bend
Carter - Bouldering in Bend

FLAG
By Ty Meadows
From Moab, UT
Jan 3, 2011
hellvis
My little rock betty, Mary, age five, on Wall Street.
My little rock betty, Mary, age five, on Wall Street.

FLAG
By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Jan 3, 2011
Indian Creek Climbing
With a little assistance at Ten Sleep, my son at 9 months.



splitterchoss.com/2010/04/09/9...

FLAG
By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Jan 3, 2011
OMG, I winz!!!
JJ is just starting out. I have to get better fast or he'll soon outclimb me!

Baby mono
Baby mono

FLAG
 
By Monomaniac
Administrator
From Morrison, CO
Jan 3, 2011
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.
Generally speaking, you want to use your middle finger for mono moves. That way you can flip people off while pantomiming the beta.

FLAG
By Legion
Jan 3, 2011
How about a free solo team, ages 8 and 6, near the eastern sierras (truthfully, just a short scramble "enhanced" with the camera angle)!

Scrambling Eastern Sierras (Age 8 and 6)
Scrambling Eastern Sierras (Age 8 and 6)

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>