5mm cord for reslinging hexes kosher?

By Matt Hasenohr
Aug 22, 2012

Title says it all...

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Aug 22, 2012
Bocan

I'm sure others can validate the reasoning more, but is any of your other gear 5m? My cordellette is 7mm, prussics 7mm etc etc.

I personally would want the thickest cord I can get through the holes, which btw is usually bigger than you think.

I wish I would remember what I relung my old Chouinard's with, but I believe I went with 6mm.

BUT that of course is just my opinion and it looks like people do 5mm

www.savasyn.net/weekend/Climb/howto/hexes/hexes.htm
www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1333677
www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1380136

Viewing the websites it seems not necessarily the thickness, but more the material you are using and its corresponding thickness.

Sorry for the tangets, but typing and thinking as I go.

By Matt Hasenohr
Aug 22, 2012

Makes sense. Can't wait to cuss up a storm trying to get 6 or 7mm cord in the holes.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Aug 22, 2012
Bocan

haha right! I wasn't comfortable with the thin cord so I went with thicker accesory, but probably the most bang for the buck is to look into the different materials and go from there.

By Matt Hasenohr
Aug 22, 2012

Definitely. Thanks for the help!

By Tom Lausch
From Madison WI
Aug 25, 2012
Orgasm Direct

www.rei.com/product/782828/bluewater-55mm-titan-dyneema-acce>>>

This. I will save you the time. I just used this after some good researching. It is stronger than the 7mm cord your going to try and stuff through there. Just make sure you use a triple fishermans. Ask someone who knows how to tie one to check them before you use them. It took me 2 packs to get enough to sling my whole set of hexes with some decent lengths.

By Michael Roadie
Aug 26, 2012
Sugarite

This thread will help --- www.mountainproject.com/v/question--old-hexes-slung-with-5mm>>> ----

By Jeff J
From Bozeman
Aug 26, 2012

Matt Hasenohr wrote:
Title says it all...

I am a fan of the 5.5 mm tech cord from NewEgland rope
I used it for my hexes and it has been just fine
Knot free tensile strenght is 5,150 lbs

www.neropes.com/product.aspx?mid=FC4DB29E596CB9D0D1DE3CDC00B>>>

By Wannabe
Aug 26, 2012

That NE tech cord sounds bada$$-- thanks for posting up about that stuff. I might try and score some for my second cordelette.

By SlowTrad
From St Paul, MN
Sep 18, 2012

I am really surprised everybody doesn't know about/use the 5.5 Tech cord to resling hexes with. Mammut makes some, NE Rope as well as Sterling all make a 5.5mm Tech cord...hella strong and not too hard to thread through the holes.

Tie your knot(triple fisherman) inside the body of the hex on the larger sizes: keeps the knots snug and out of the way. Tighten by bouncing.

By John Husky
Sep 20, 2012

I drilled out the holes, and carefully deburred the edges, so I could resling them with 7mm. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think it was a 5/16" hss bit. Though I guess a 7mm bit would work alright. Maybe the spectra is better, but this was easy.