2nd Annual "Winter Adventure Grant" aka FREE MONEY!!

By Stephen Berwanger
From Montrose, CO
Sep 20, 2011
Summit of Sunlight
Hello Fellow Climbers,

My Company,Summit Sealants Inc., is proud to offer the 2nd annual "Winter Adventure Grant" to encouarage winter exploration of the mountain ranges of North America. I will award $2,000.00 total in $500.00 or $1,000.00 increments. Applications accepted through Dec 31,2011. Award will be mailed by Jan 7,2012 and must be used within 6 months.
The criteria is as follows:

1. Must be 18 years of age or older

2.Objective(s) must be in North America with preference going to climbs in the Continetal US.

3. Considered will be exploratory nature, history of region, first ascent or significant enchainment, remoteness.

4. All objectives must have significant winter implications (snow, alpine ice, water ice). The teams style will be considered.

Application:
Please electonically provide the following information.

1. Your name, address, age, phone #, email address

2. Team members names, experience, and what each climber feels their top 3 climbs are to date.

3. Appox. budget needed for trip and expected use of grant (gear, food, travel, permits). Please state if you feel you need the complete $1,000.00 or if you are applying for a $500.00 grant.

4.Objective desciption. Include pictures, route, expected iterary.

5. What photo or video documentation do you plan to use.

Responsibilites of recipient:
If awarded these guidelines must be followed.

1. All necessary permits or land use regulations will be followed.

2. A 12"X12" lightweight banner of Summit Sealant Inc. will be mailed with check. A few photos to document the climb will be requested.

3. If for any reason the submitted plans are cancelled the funds will be returned in full.

4. If any slide shows or presentations arise from this outing, recipient will mention grant and provider.

Please email all applications to steve@summitsealants.com
GOOD LUCK AND BE CREATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Jaaron Mankins
From Bayfield, CO
Sep 20, 2011
San Juans.
Hell yeah, Steve, way to step up again. Heck, I might even apply....

By Jace Mullen
From Oceanside, Ca
Sep 20, 2011
I don't meet one of the requirements (I'll let you guess what one).

However, If anyone needs a partner for one of these trips I am all for that.

By Ryan N
From San Louis Obispo
Sep 21, 2011
RJN
Hell yea Steve. Thanks for supporting a the community that you are such a big part of. I will be thinking of a gnarly winter FA to apply with!

By Buff Johnson
Sep 21, 2011
smiley face
cool -- Stephen do you have info on those that were awarded in the past and what they did?

By Brad W
From San Diego
Sep 21, 2011
From their website:

Summit Sealants Announces Grant Winners
Date posted: February 23, 2011

Summit Sealants created several climbing grants this year in an effort to give back to the community. The grants were based on new winter routes in the USA.

Winners:

Blake Herrington to establish a new route in the North Cascades

Jason Nelson to establish new ice lines in the Juneau, Alaska area.

By Stephen Berwanger
From Montrose, CO
Sep 21, 2011
Summit of Sunlight
Mark Nelson wrote:

Heres my award post from last year............

" Thanks to everyone that turned in an application, they were all great ideas. I decided to help support 3 teams, Congrats to all!!!:

1. Mason Robison from Eureka,MT(solo) $1,000.00
First winter ascent of a 3,000 ft face in Glacier NP

2. Blake Herrington from from Denver,CO and Jens Holsten from Peshastin,WA $500.00
Snow and Ice acent of one of the most remote peaks in the Cascades.

3. Jason Nelson from Flagstaff,AZ and Ryan Johnson from Juneau,AK
First Ascents of multiple mixed lines on a 1,000 ft headwall in SE Alaska. (I know its not continental US but I'm giving out more
than advertised.)

I wish the best of luck to all teams. Have fun, Climb hard, Climb safe.

This will be an annual grant for many years.....start thinking of next year!!!!!!!!

Special thanks to Doug Shepherd, Kelly Cordes, and Jack Tackle for help and information on the proposed climbs!! "

By Stephen Berwanger
From Montrose, CO
Dec 14, 2011
Summit of Sunlight
BUMP

Just a couple weeks left!!!
Does anybody else out there want some money to try their new winter project?

By Nic Harnish
From Durango, CO
Jan 9, 2012
so who got it this year?

By Stephen Berwanger
From Montrose, CO
Jan 9, 2012
Summit of Sunlight
Sorry I didn't publicly post yet, was really busy this year and the icefest in Ouray snuck right up on me.

This years recipients were:

$1,000.00 Rusty Willis and Stan Price from Bozeman,MT for an winter ascent of 1,800 foot face on an unnamed peak in the Beartooth range of MT.

$500.00 Cory Fleagle and Thomas Engelbach from Boulder,CO for a winter attempt on the North Face of one of the largest mountains in the San Juan range.

$500.00 Dawn Glanc and Kitty Calhoun from Ouray,CO for "all-female" multiple new mixed lines in many different regions throughout the U.S. Rockies.

Out of respect for the projects, these details are intentionally vague. But stop by summitsealants.com for full stories as these projects are attempted.

Thanks to everybody for applying they were all great ideas. I look forward to next year!!!!